• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range

Do any of you here have house bunnies free range, either in a room, a few, or the whole house constantly, including at night?

Weve brought our orange rex Sun indoors tonight after a period spent outside...the problem is we dont have a spare dog crate for her to use at night like the other have, so weve bunny proofed the kitchen as best we can and left her to have free range in there for the night...we were wondering what everyones experiences with this are? Positive? Or will we wake to horror and mess? :lol: Sun used to be very tidy indoors but then she has lived in a totally diff situation for the last few months

Thanx:wave:

if its the first night your bunny will be too excited at the newness to destroy.... a few days tho and i reakon youll be looking at buying new stuff :lol::lol::lol::lol:

my bunnies have their own bedroom does that count? the room has no other purpose it is just theirs they are free in there 24/7 plus get free range of the landing during the day and occasioally the bathroom (duchess likes to lie on the heated floor :roll:) and my room if i am up there . mine are ... messy to be polite! but i think if it was more of a people room i would make sure it didnt get as hay strewn but because it is theirs i let them mess it up for 24 hours then have a sweep up and let them mess it up again :lol:

Hi :wave: I have two free range buns in my house - Daisy & Gabriel in my siggy. They go wherever they want whenever they want. The only problem I have found is that because I had to separate Nushka and she lived downstairs for a while they can still smell her so pee and poo everywhere in the lounge :roll: its happened before and will settle eventually.

I have trunking on all of my wires and have to be careful with house plants but thats about it - they do tip their hay over and make a mess but...ah whatever - they are bunnies :lol::lol::lol:

Its lovely to have them around and they follow me :D

PS Nush & Bungle are 'courting' in my conservatory at the mo before going to their new outdoor home.

Hi, we have had Munchie free range in the kitchen for a couple of weeks now. We thought he was being a good boy untill last weekend when we noticed a bit of a 'pong'. He had somehow got under one of the kitchen cupboards and had been using it as a toilet:shock:

Roo has a dog crate as a base in the kitchen, but has free run of the house. At night he doesn't have access to the lounge or rooms on the upper floors, but this doesn't seem to bother him as he takes himself off to bed around 10.30 & seems to prefer to spend the night in his crate :shock:
Apart from one computer lead, he has not chewed anything since being indoors. :D

Lola's free range in our kitchen all the time and the rest of the house when we are in. she hasn't chewed anything at all. She has a pop up tent and tunnel and a dog crate for the litter tray and hanging toys. it works great for us...good luck with the free range buns:D

I pen sorrel at night "just in case" cos its a rented house but she is often up there free range for 12+ hours and not once has she destroyed anything....but then she is very well behaved. :)

my bunnies have their own bedroom does that count? the room has no other purpose it is just theirs they are free in there 24/7 plus get free range of the landing during the day and occasioally the bathroom (duchess likes to lie on the heated floor :roll:) and my room if i am up there . mine are ... messy to be polite! but i think if it was more of a people room i would make sure it didnt get as hay strewn but because it is theirs i let them mess it up for 24 hours then have a sweep up and let them mess it up again :lol:

I have exactly the same set up :) Mine are perfectly litter trained but get hay everywhere :roll: I think they would revolt if I tried locking them in their crate overnight :lol:

I have an extension joint to my house. it consists of 1 big room, 1 smaller room & 1 long thin hallway. The big room is split into one small section & one massive section. Calel & Treacle live in the smaller, the bonded 9 in the large. The small room is Cracker & Missy & Suki & Alistair live in the hallway bit. I'm a bit of a softie for Alistair, & he & Suki come into the living room to pee on my furniture on an evening. About once a week I cage Alistair & Suki & the bonded group get free run of the house. Then I clean for 2 hours:lol:

Everyone gets at least 2 hours in the garden per week too.:D

Thanks loads for the replies guys! Its given me a lot more confidence to see so many well behaved buns about! And didnt i feel silly for fretting today when i popped my head round (very late too as i overslept!) to see her fast asleep herself by the fridge and not a single thing out of place!

Hopefully shell be able to stay like that now until we know what were able to do with her...shes looking so well, we might be able to look at bonding her with the rest of the gang in the future, but well take it one day at a time. Shes got everything she needs in there, and has already figured out that when we go to the fridge its time to beg and plead and look adorable:lol:

IF this wasnt just a one off because it was all new to her, its given me a lot of inspiration...all our other buns are very well behaved too, and well litter trained...maybe a whole gang of free rangers!:D

Thanks everyone:wave:

I have an extension joint to my house. it consists of 1 big room, 1 smaller room & 1 long thin hallway. The big room is split into one small section & one massive section. Calel & Treacle live in the smaller, the bonded 9 in the large. The small room is Cracker & Missy & Suki & Alistair live in the hallway bit. I'm a bit of a softie for Alistair, & he & Suki come into the living room to pee on my furniture on an evening. About once a week I cage Alistair & Suki & the bonded group get free run of the house. Then I clean for 2 hours:lol:

Everyone gets at least 2 hours in the garden per week too.:D

So many buns! And so well managed!:lol: This sounds like a great setup:D

Hi, we have had Munchie free range in the kitchen for a couple of weeks now. We thought he was being a good boy untill last weekend when we noticed a bit of a 'pong'. He had somehow got under one of the kitchen cupboards and had been using it as a toilet:shock:

Yikes!:shock: Ill look out for that! :lol:

We have two large litter trays filled with hay. A large cardboard box cut into a house with a door back and front and they love to sleep in this. Alternatively, you could fill your cat carrier with hay and face the wall with it and they can duck into this. They will need someone to hide and feel secure at night. Alternatively, you could put a sheet over a chair.

I have 2 large buns free range in the house. At first (for a week or so) they were a bit destructive, Nigel for a bit longer as he was younger. THey are almost perfectly litter trained apart from the odd poo here and there. THe hay box is behind the litter tray so that keeps wisps down to a minimum. They are free all night and day, and fur is the only issue really but a slicker brush takes that up.

You need to take up wires out of the way, and Gladys likes to throw my shoes around :roll: I shut them out of the front room when Im out as its easier than checking everything is out of their reach.

I find my little buns are worse when I bring them in because they are so excited, they chew everything, poo and wee everywhere and generally be a total menace!

I have exactly the same set up :) Mine are perfectly litter trained but get hay everywhere :roll: I think they would revolt if I tried locking them in their crate overnight :lol:

Mine too! To be honest I would get quite depressed to see him "behind bars". I know it is for their own good, but we prefer to "rabbit-proof the house". Must say, for all hay, the house it's much more tidy as we have to watch what we leave where :roll:

My two are 'free range' every where other than my daughters room which we block off with a baby gate, having said that though, at night time they are confined to the kitchen, again using a baby gate otherwise we'd never get any sleep as they like lots of attention.

Maverick & Cassius used to live free range in the kitchen and were both non-destructive. We had to block of access to behind the cooker and washing machine and had a stairgate on the door.

Cassius's litter training was 100%, Maverick 100% with urine, 80% with droppings which is fine....I swept up twice a day.

Callisto & Mackenzie were both awful in the kitchen....Mack was trained in his cage but given the space they both went potty and toileted everywhere. They are back in Ferplasts for their litter training but they were never destructive in a chewing type manner.

I guess it just depends on the rabbits personality.

Back