• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch for lops - is it okay?

Think we're going to go for the extra large (5ft). I did want a double deluxe with bottom run but with all the extras it totted up to nearly £350!

How much did you spend? Cannot decide whether to spend the extra but feel the one I've decided on is going to be lovely for them.

Ours is a 5ft hutch with run underneath and then a 5ft run added on the front, so in total they have a 5 by 7 run underneath :) We had it treated, night shutter, bolts, trapdoor and delivered quickly and it was about £400. Here's a pic:
P3280399.jpg

We are THRILLED by the quality and Sienna and Dudley love it too :D

Have you tried local carpenters, there is a pet shop in Reading where he will make a hutch to your specification and he's cheap but good quality. I got a hutch and run combo hutch - 4x2x2.5 and the run is 5x4 and only cost me £100 delivery included! I just asked in my local pet shop and she directed me to him as she didn't stock anything as large as I was after.

Would you not consider getting a shed or playhouse for them? If you are going to pay a good couple of hundred for the hutch you'd be as well (and possibly cheaper) getting a shed. You could get a good sized one for that price :D

I can only go up not out, as they are in a narrow area, right out side back door as opposed at the end of our garden, where they would be away from the house.

Did consider shed but just wouldn't fit. The Ryedale ones are really good quality so I don't feel I'm chucking money way:p

I have the 6ft double whopper which they made me 2ft high each level with an attached 5 x 6 run and its excellent quality :) The delivery is normally free with Ryedale though ?

Have you tried Dawson Animal Housing - IMO their quality is just as good if not better than Ryedale and when we got a quote from them recently for a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft triple it was £200

I have seen quite a few Ryedale hutches and they are great, but the one you have posted a link to says (I think I have read it right) that it's made from plywood. Personally I wouldn't buy a plywood hutch. I don't think they last as long or wear as well.:D

It's been ordered so I cannot change my mind :D It is plywood but is covered in log lap which I opted for in the end. I've spent ages researching and checking out different ones and the couple at Ryedale were so very helpful and talked me through everything, so am very happy with my decision.

Thank you to everyone for their guidance and advice.

Absolutely will do, cannot wait for them to have their new home, they deserve somewhere nice to live. Its due for delivery end of May.

P.S. I have delivery charges as I'm in Pontypridd and it will be arriving on a pallet

Back