• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas to stop water bowl being knocked over by the buns?

andic

Mama Doe
:wave:Hi All!
Just wondered (as the title says) do any of have any ideas to prevent Audrey and Monty knocking over their water bowl?

I have two water bottles in their crate as well (just in case) but they never touch them.

Usually the water doesn;t get knocked over, but we have been away for the weekend and parents were bunny sitting and mum said every time they came to feed and exercise the buns they had managed to knock the water bowl over:roll:....
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?
Thanks for any advice!
Andrea
x

Sorry I forgot to mention, the water bowl is a ceramic one:lol::lol: perhaps my two are weightlifters?:oops::lol:

I know how you feel as my two oldies knocked over a heavy crock casserole dish full of water today :shock: I think they are training for the "Worlds Strongest Bun" :lol:

Big ceramic dog bowls, however, my indoor 'hound' Arnold Monkfish (he's a rabbit that really thinks he's either a dog or a human, but deffo not rabbit) is so strong that he used to pick that up with his teeth or push it over with his nose, so I bought one of those non-tip ones from a car boot and it's totally scuppered him. You know the kind, wider at the base than the top.

Ive found ours prefer a bowl of water to bottles, but they always tip them, so we just use bottles. They will use them if theres no alternative, you can show them how its done if theyre unsure...but if youre unsure you could try a bigger ceramic bowl i guess. Weve never had much luck with them, including Fae sitting in them:lol:

I have one of the giant ceramic dog bowls that say 'Dog' {:lol:} on them - never ever been knocked over, it's certainly heavy enough!

Thanks all! I feel a little better that my two aren;t the only two weightlifting bunnies:lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the all the ideas!

use those hooked ones for birds or make your own by getting a plastic bowl and drilling two holes and putting wire through to hook it onto the cage.

use those hooked ones for birds or make your own by getting a plastic bowl and drilling two holes and putting wire through to hook it onto the cage.

also make sure you dont drill into the main part of the bowl and just the side.

also my bun is getting herself a big (______:)_______) hutch and i was thinking of getting a bowl for water but im not sure, should i try one of them bird ones?
i will have 2 bowls already 1for rabbit mix and 1 for veg/pellet/grass :p

she is 1year old and has never had a bowl always a bottle would she ever use it?

also make sure you dont drill into the main part of the bowl and just the side.

also my bun is getting herself a big (______:)_______) hutch and i was thinking of getting a bowl for water but im not sure, should i try one of them bird ones?
i will have 2 bowls already 1for rabbit mix and 1 for veg/pellet/grass :p

she is 1year old and has never had a bowl always a bottle would she ever use it?

good point :D i drilled them right at the top near the rim.

she might use a bowl - some buns prefer it and i personally think it is more comfortable to drink with their heads down in a natural position than with them bent upwards to a bottle, it seems more natural.

ive used bowls ever since the attachment for our furst buns waterbottle came loose and her two insicors had to be removed as a result:(

besides buns love to drape their ear tips in bowls to keep cool.

um try a frenchie with those bowls..willow pulls it off the ground and it comes back down real hard..one day shell smash it im sure!:shock:

i saw a weird non tip one online yesterday but it was plastic..willowd still manage!:lol: mm forgot to bookmark it...sorry:oops:

G'day, :wave:
I have four bunnies; 3 use bottles and one uses a large bird food container, as clutterydrawer mentioned. I don't like to use the bowls, as mine would tend to either sit in them or put things in them.
Susan

:wave: hi there to you.

:lol: yup i must admit ive had a few wet bunny bums when theyve sat in the water bowl....:lol:

the worst was one of my old buns...he got fed up with the cats sharing his bowl so overnigh hed poo in it!:shock::lol:

bandit does a few by accident if hes got his bum perched over the bowl whilst hes eating from his food bowl:shock:

the hardest part is finding theyve drowned their cuddly toys in it if theyve been in a huff;)

:wave: hi there to you.

:lol: yup i must admit ive had a few wet bunny bums when theyve sat in the water bowl....:lol:

the worst was one of my old buns...he got fed up with the cats sharing his bowl so overnigh hed poo in it!:shock::lol:

bandit does a few by accident if hes got his bum perched over the bowl whilst hes eating from his food bowl:shock:

the hardest part is finding theyve drowned their cuddly toys in it if theyve been in a huff;)

:lol::lol:

I use small ceramic bowls for the rabbits (that way there is less to go everywhere if they knock it) and I put them right in the corner. They rarely knock them over but occasionally Smokey will wee in them, just for fun.

sorrel has invented a whole new way to thwart my waterbowl plans :rolleyes:

I went out thinking she had a full bowl and when i came back she'd placed loads of carboard in it which soaked up all the water leaving nothing to drink. *heavy sigh*

Back