• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit will not let me clean her bottom

Help i need some guidance, my rabbit, Honey, has been having a dirty bottom and it has got better over the past week because i changed her diet but she still has a dirty bum. I tried to clean it but she wriggles and squirms so much, its impossible to clean her and then she ends up in a grump with me :roll:. Is there any tips or methods that people have tried being in the same situation as i am.

what i try is getting a towel or blanket and covering her eyes while i hold her and lift her back legs with both my hands(1hand on each legs and opening them but not too much) and get someone to clean it

but make sure its not a big drop behind you just incase she jumps, i stand infront of my sofa so its a nice soft landing

this thread helped me
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123730

I'm useless handling my rabbits, but when I have managed to grab them and clean bums (Maa needed it doing before she died) I found it best to sit or kneel with her back against my chest/stomach, my left hand holding her paws and upper body, and her bottom on my lap, but back feet sticking up in the air as they are half layed down - they seem to sit still in that position (but wear a thick coat or fleece, and a glove on your left hand) - I used to cut Tia's nails in that position too as she was a terrible struggler.

hmm i always stuck mine in the bath but i guess thats only like when it occurs once!

but on the other hand, i used to do pippas every day and she statred to love baths... i got a mat and instead of filling the bath with water i got the showerhead pointing roughly at her chest and she used to love it, but then, shes a house bunny and never got cold so it was all quicker for me that way

but i think that way all the poo comes off very well:)

yeah that advice about gloves is not taken lightly when i bathed my Ivory i had about 10 cuts on my left arm from where she wriggled oh and i also go a chest full of soapy bunny water lol

lol gave simba a bath yesterday cause he aqquired a mucky bum overnight (very very mucky) and at first he was not happy and kept struggling but then he was just like meh.. either that or he was scared into stillness :|

i have quite a lot of scars from when pippa was in her prime biting stage

Thanks for all your advice, i think i will get my dad to help me, he can do the holding :D and i'll do the cleaning. Thanks for all your help. I have one more question i forgot to mention before but what stuff do you use to clean your bunnies with, just water or pet shampoo etc.

Thanks for all your advice, i think i will get my dad to help me, he can do the holding :D and i'll do the cleaning. Thanks for all your help. I have one more question i forgot to mention before but what stuff do you use to clean your bunnies with, just water or pet shampoo etc.

Wet wipes are really good to use to clean rabits bottoms with. Shampoo and water tend to matt the fur, in this cold weather for outdoor rabbits using water can result in them loosing body heat which all small animals can ill afford.

I always use dry cooking cornflour - it's brilliant - just work it in with your fingernails and the dirt slides off :)

Back