• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what shall I do - hungry baby

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Re my other thread about Crystle and her remaining baby................

Last night I decided to wait untill just after midnight to check on baby, bearing in mind he had not been fed since 8.30pm the previous day, when I put him to her so he could have a drink. She had not fed him and he was absolutely ravenous :( As soon as I moved the fur he literally popped out and chirped like mad. I put him on her and he had a feed, but when I checked this morning I don't think she had fed him. He didn't look like he does when he's just fed, all fat and froggy. I didn't intervene. Tonight he still hasn't been fed and is now looking a bit wrinkly, so I am worried he might be getting dehydrated. I was going to leave it untill 6.00am tomorrow to check, but I wonder if this is too long and if I should make her feed him again ? What do you think ?

Taz.xx

Re my other thread about Crystle and her remaining baby................

Last night I decided to wait untill just after midnight to check on baby, bearing in mind he had not been fed since 8.30pm the previous day, when I put him to her so he could have a drink. She had not fed him and he was absolutely ravenous :( As soon as I moved the fur he literally popped out and chirped like mad. I put him on her and he had a feed, but when I checked this morning I don't think she had fed him. He didn't look like he does when he's just fed, all fat and froggy. I didn't intervene. Tonight he still hasn't been fed and is now looking a bit wrinkly, so I am worried he might be getting dehydrated. I was going to leave it untill 6.00am tomorrow to check, but I wonder if this is too long and if I should make her feed him again ? What do you think ?

Taz.xx

If mum is happy to let you latch him on I would feed him asap. If he is wrinkly he is dehydrated and obviously at risk of damaging his liver and dying of starvation. I would continue to latch him on twice a day as it does seem like she is a little unsure about what to do. good luck!!!

Just tried to put him on for a feed and she now has no milk :shock::shock::shock:

Just going to buy some goats milk. How m uch do I feed and how do I feed him. I have a feeding bottle with a rubber teat attached, can I use that ?

If you can get any milk from her that's best - try diff teats and diff times of day.

Full fat goats milk is an alternative - not as good though. You need a very small teat - don't know what you've got. Otherwise try a 1ml syringe. You'll need to feed him 3-4 times a day as much as he wants.

How old is he?

Tamsin

Feed him some water until you can get milk - will keep him hydrated even if its not nutritious :)

He is only 5 days old :(:( I tried moving him from nipple to nipple, but he couldn't get anything out at all. I did think when I fed him last night that he didn't seem as fat and froggy as previously.

I have the goats milk now - do I need to warm it up first ? I am seriously scared, I have never attempted anything like this before.

You could warm it slightly. Put warm water in a bowl, stand the bowl of milk inside that bowl to warm it.

The other thing is you need to clean everything carefully. You can get baby sterilizing tablets to sterilize the bottle/teat between feeds.

The most important thing is not to let him inhale any so go really slow. Just pop it on his lips/the front of his mouth, don't try and post it in too much. You might only get 1ml in for the first feeds but it will build up quickly over the following days.

Tam

oh, I don't know if the vet give anything to stimulate milk production?

Do you know any breeders in your area - the other option is to foster on to a different mum.

Lots of vibes for baby. Incidentally Tamsin is full fat goats milk, better than the milk you get from the vets, which I think is for cats and dogs...? We feed the baby buns at work with the vet solution and it isn't always successful.

I just tried to feed him. I have a feeding bottle with a tiny teat attached and thought this would be ok. I tried to just drip the milk on one drop at a time, but he kept wriggling around and some of it went up his nose. I am killing him with my ignorance. I just put him in a box in the airing cupboard for now ( its the warmest place ). I feel so awful, like its all my fault even though I wsn't aware Crystle was preganant to begin with.

How old is baby now? Keep trying to get her to feed him and keep trying to get him to take feeds. Airing cupboard is good, keeping him nice and warm is for the best. What about toileting. I think you need to stimulate babies to do this. Someone else will advise you further on this. x

I've just pm'd you more info but don't panic too much if it goes on the nose when your feeding - it tends to run up the split in the top lip. Just keep wiping it away. The worry is when they breath in what's in their mouth instead of swallowing then breath out the milk in bubbles from their nose. So from the lungs down out through the nose = bad but squirting spare milk up their nose whilst trying to get it in the mouth - pretty normal.

Tamsin

Thnx everyone for all your advice. I am in such a state and shaking so much I cannot hold a syringe, so its just as well he is apparantly sleeping. I will try again before I go to bed in about 2 hours or so. It all seems so unfair - his other 2 siblings didn't make it and he's survived 5 days. Life is just ****.

Yes, we are in south Wales, just by the Severn Bridges.

I am so scared to attempt feeding him again in case I mess it up again.

Well without it he'll definately die so your giving him more of a chance trying the feeding :)

Tam

Back