• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Downside

elve

Banned
to having over 20 small animals aged around 3yrs or more - just had to have a piggie PTS :( I am pleased to say the vet (a new one) was knowledgeable and sympathetic while I dithered over what to do - and when we finally decided on PTS, little Hugo didn't suffer at all - he went in the box like they do when they have surgery, fell asleep with the gas, then had an injection - I was insistent he went this way too - some vets will just inject them into their abdomen, and my vet today said it was a slow death for them that way - always double check your vet's proceedure when the worst comes to the worst :?

I am now eating chocolate spread with a spoon to try and calm my nerves - being teetotal isn't much use on days like this :roll:

Hugo was apparently fine till 10 days ago, when I heard him groaning in pain at midnight on Saturday in a snowstorm, with child and ex (my only transport) both in bed :roll: I checked Hugo over and syringed some water with asprin in it, and didn't expect him to make it through the night - but miraculously he was fine next day and seemed totally well all last week, bouncing around with his brother, till yesterday when the groans of pain started again :( So I syringed water again and he ate some veggies and dandelions, and I was hoping he'd be OK again today - but this time it wasn't to be. He ate some dandelions and weed and pooed on me this morning, so that was in working order - but the vet said he could feel a lump in his abdomen - either cancer or a large bladder stone :(

Poor little chappie - I rescued his mum when she was pregnant (he's one of Charlie's boys) and since I lost all my pics when my laptop broke last year, this is the only pic I have of him, taken when he'd just been born, with his 2 surviving brothers - Hugo is the piggie in the middle - and the only one that's never tried to bite me :roll: awww he was such a lovely pigger :(

3musketeers1.jpg

Awwww so sorry Elve.
Its always sad to lose a pet but a least you know you gave them the best life:D

Sorry you have lost Hugo :( What a cutie pig he was.

I wish I'd have known about the best way to have a pig PTS.
After my last pig was PTS (around 9 years ago) I swore I'd never have pigs again - the PTS was too cruel and painful in my eyes as he was injected into the abdomen and he squirmed and squealed for ages:(

thank you everyone :)

Sorry you have lost Hugo :( What a cutie pig he was.

I wish I'd have known about the best way to have a pig PTS.
After my last pig was PTS (around 9 years ago) I swore I'd never have pigs again - the PTS was too cruel and painful in my eyes as he was injected into the abdomen and he squirmed and squealed for ages:(

It is entirely thanks to Sooz that I found out about this before being in the position to need it doing - I would be totally traumatised watching what you had to, and I find it unbelievable that majority of the vetinary profession still consider that humane :?

Im sorry Elve. Im glad he had the dignified and peaceful passing he deserved. :cry:

Popcorn Free Hugo x

thank you everyone - Sooz I'm just glad you shared your sad story with us all or I wouldn't have known any better :(

thank you everyone - Sooz I'm just glad you shared your sad story with us all or I wouldn't have known any better :(

Im glad some good came out of such a horrible experience. No-one should ever have to go through what we did.

I am really sorry Elve :cry:

I got told off for sharing on here the horrid PTS experience I had with one of my Buns :? :cry: (NOT involving Christabel) But it is important we know what is and is not acceptable from a Vet.

Janex

He was a cutie!

Its so hard to make the decisions to have a loved pet PTS. You did everything you could to help Hugo.

Popcorn free Hugo.

Back