• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit not cleaning behind

Ivorboub02

New Kit
ok well my mini-lop has been getting poo stuck to her butt i found another thread saying about using corn-flour to remove it, and it did work.

but she keeps getting it stuck to her bum and i was wondering if there was a reason for this.
i have cut her green/veg right down to a few leaves of parsley curled leaf from sainsburys
and it keeps happening it was cleaned last time with nothing left there but she has done it again.

she likes laying in the corner of her hutch with he bum in the corner could it be that doing this while she does her buisness its getting stuck in her fur.

Is she over weight at all?

What pellets/mix does she eat?

Is she litter trained at all?

Helen x

not over weight (vet confirmed)

she dosent have any also from another thread saying that excel is what causes it (she did use to have them but i stoped giving them)

i didnt think rabbits could be trained (when i first got her)
but i'm not sure how to so no lol (i am going to try)

and i will check that thread ty

If your rabbit is not eating pellets, please can you advise us on the diet she has been fed for each day in the past week.

How much hay does she eat?

urm she isnt tubby if your going by the >>>right pic that is a big puff of fur lol i duno why she has it just around her neck she has a massive chin lol but its not her chin its just a big lump of fur lol

and atm im just feeding her rabbit mix
oil 3.0%
protein 13.50%
fibre 10.5%
ash5.5%
vit a 10000iu/kg
vit b 1400iu/kg
vit e 40iu/kg
copper 20mg/kg
its called
DOBBY'S Super Rabbit Mix

its normally that 2 times a day but she does have a small bowl
and she rarely eats hay, she's never really eaten it since i got her unless she eats it from her bed area (i put a few handfuls in so its hard to tell)

if its a bad idea to stop pellets ill start giving her them

pellets are

supa rabbit
excel lite
protein 12%
oil 2.5%
ash 7.5%
fibre 18%
calcium 0.90%
phosphorous 0.51%
vit a 16,500iu/kg
vit d3 2,000iu/kg
vit e 100 mg/kg
(alpha tocopherol acetate)
vit c 20 mg/kg
copper as copric sulphate 15mg/kg

just wanted topost it just incase :D

Hi, from what you have posted I would advie you give her lots of hay even if it sits there for a while keep giving it to her. Also try her on a little grass if she hasn't had it before. My rabbit has the same problem with a dirty bottom and i have given her a lot of hay and her favourite food..... grass!! It has helped a lot and her dirty bum is disappearing :D I would advice you to give her an increase in the amount of hay you give her and give it to her daily.

ok thanks ill give her some i got fresh today :D

and she was running free in the garden today so she has had lots of grass but ill go pick abit more and give it to her aswell

thanks alot :wave::D:D:D

the grass is very rich in spring and it can upset their tums if they're not used to it, as it's pretty dead all winter - just give a little at first and increase the amount slowly over a couple of weeks. My bunny Maa had to stop going on the garden altogether as it always upset her tum. Hay is really the best thing if they're tums a bit dodgy :)

Hi
if you decrease her dried food, she will eventually eat her hay,fresh hay is vital for her, I think 80% (if i'm right) of her diet should be hay.
I give a handful of dried food to each rabbit once in the morning and before bed time, some people give less than this. and they have fresh food/grass every day too.

I am a little confused

What pellets/mix does she eat?

she dosent have any also from another thread saying that excel is what causes it (she did use to have them but i stoped giving them)

From this I assume that he doesnt have any pellets or mix to eat.

If your rabbit is not eating pellets, please can you advise us on the diet she has been fed for each day in the past week.

How much hay does she eat?

You replied
and atm im just feeding her rabbit mix
oil 3.0%
protein 13.50%
fibre 10.5%
ash5.5%
vit a 10000iu/kg
vit b 1400iu/kg
vit e 40iu/kg
copper 20mg/kg
its called
DOBBY'S Super Rabbit Mix

its normally that 2 times a day but she does have a small bowl
and she rarely eats hay, she's never really eaten it since i got her unless she eats it from her bed area (i put a few handfuls in so its hard to tell)

if its a bad idea to stop pellets ill start giving her them

pellets are

supa rabbit
excel lite
protein 12%
oil 2.5%
ash 7.5%
fibre 18%
calcium 0.90%
phosphorous 0.51%
vit a 16,500iu/kg
vit d3 2,000iu/kg
vit e 100 mg/kg
(alpha tocopherol acetate)
vit c 20 mg/kg
copper as copric sulphate 15mg/kg

just wanted topost it just incase :D

From your post I can only assume that your rabbit is eating either a very low fibre mix or excel. Excel is well known with some rabbits to cause dirty bottoms.

You also say that your rabbit eats very little hay. Rabbits need a high fibre diet, with those who have dirty bottoms they need to have an even higher fibre diet than they are currently getting.

My suggestion would be to:
1. cut down on the amount of dried food that your rabbit is getting and to encourage them to eat more hay.
2. Buy sample bags of nice hays to try on your rabbit, once you find one they like purchase more of this.
3. Slowly transfer your rabbit on to a higher fibre food such as science selective or bunny basics T.

If you dont cut down the amount of dried food that you feed and dont change the pellets to a higher fibre diet you will find is a struggle to obtain a cleaner bottomed rabbit.

If you dont cut down the amount of dried food that you feed and dont change the pellets to a higher fibre diet you will find is a struggle to obtain a cleaner bottomed rabbit.

Agreed and again I strongly advise you to get a Vet to check your Rabbits teeth. The diet she has been on points strongly to her having some problems with her molar ( back ) teeth as from what you have told us she has been eating lots of concentrated feed and not much hay.
Hay should form 80% of a Bun's diet. A healthy adult Rabbit does not actually need a concentrated feed at all. The very best diet for a Bun is a good variety of *hays ( there are lots of different types you can try her on, not just the stuff Petshops sell ;) ) and veg* fresh water and some grazing time. I'd suggest you aim to do that for a happy clean-bottomed Bunny :D

Janex

Back