• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I have another rabbit if the one I already have has Pasteurella?

Noah's Mummy

Young Bun
I would like to have another indoor rabbit but my mini lop sadly has Pasteurella, would there be any way around this? I know it's highly contagious :cry:

I had a bun that had pasturella and his partner never got it and they were together for 6.5yrs.

The other option is to get one that has it already, there are a few up for rehoming on the rabbit rehome part of this site. One that springs straight to mind is a single female that has been waiting months. A search should bring her up. :wave:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9258

That's her, I looked at her soo many times..... she's beautiful... :love:

Last edited:
Were wondering the same thing...i know LOADS of people whove bonded up snuffly buns with perfectly healthy buns and it wasnt passed on...yet when we brought one in the house last time it spread, which is why our Sun got it. Now shes looking fine and we hate her being outside and just want her in as part of the group...Were going to ask advice from our vet whos really good with this stuff tomorrow so ill post back here if he knows the answer

:wave:

The other option is to get one that has it already, there are a few up for rehoming on the rabbit rehome part of this site. One that springs straight to mind is a single female that has been waiting months. A search should bring her up. :wave:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9258

That's her, I looked at her soo many times..... she's beautiful... :love:

:love: brody! i always see her under Essex, poor girl deserves a home! i looked at her when i was adopting my fourth bun but she has pasturella so i couldnt

There is some research that suggests Pateurella is not as contagious as used to be thought and that rabbits are born prone to it, and it is these rabbits that will go on to develope it.

Also bare in mind that lots of rabbits carry Pasteurella but never go on to develope symptoms. These rabbits could still pass it on to a 'prone' rabbit and you would never be any the wiser.

I would not recommend bonding an obviously infected rabbit with another that had a weakened immune system though.

Can you give a brief outline of what pasturella is, for us not in the know? Is it curable, or a condition buns who have it, have to live with?

Back