• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on rabbit testicles - home after op

chloaster

Warren Veteran
This rabbit has just come in to the rescue and I'd like some opinions on the size of his testicles. The actual testicles are "normal" size but the sacs are so big he is unable to keep himself clean. He is booked into the vets tomorrow but has anyone any idea what caused this or what it is? Is it just a bit of a deformity? :?

CIMG9579.jpg

Last edited:
got no idea...but i really shudnt have clicked on this whilst eating a sarnie!

:oops: Sorry - will put warning in title :rolleyes:

He is actually booked in for his neuter op tomorrow so I'm wondering if they'll do some plastic surgery type thing on him or what, just hoping they will be able to do something :?

Poor soul.Personally i think it is just the way he is for whatever reason.No offence but theres another good reason to get him neutered,no more hassle for him cleaning himself.That sounds nasty but don't mean it too be.Sounds as if this is going to be the best for him in more ways than one.How did you manage to get a picture of his bits?!:lol:

Is the excess just skin 'empty'?..... it looks a different texture to the actual testicle area. I know normal large plums shrink to nothing but I'd query the vet as to whether such a large 'package' would wither away sufficiently to keep clean. Maybe they can trim the excess off when they neuter him, its worth suggesting.

maybe he got kicked in the goolies & they swelled up & stretched the skin but have now shrunk back?

Poor soul.Personally i think it is just the way he is for whatever reason.No offence but theres another good reason to get him neutered,no more hassle for him cleaning himself.That sounds nasty but don't mean it too be.Sounds as if this is going to be the best for him in more ways than one.How did you manage to get a picture of his bits?!:lol:

Doesn't sound nasty at all I agree with you which is why I picked him up this am and booked him in for tomorrow. I just cannot understand why his previous owners didn't take him to the vets, they told me they were a bit large but I just thought they meant he was well endowed. He's a little sweetheart and just lay on my lap whilst I cleaned him up so photo was easy. My biggest concern was whether they'd be able to sort him out tomorrow.

Is the excess just skin 'empty'?..... it looks a different texture to the actual testicle area. I know normal large plums shrink to nothing but I'd query the vet as to whether such a large 'package' would wither away sufficiently to keep clean. Maybe they can trim the excess off when they neuter him, its worth suggesting.

Yes it's empty, bit more "chicken skin" like than usual but it is just skin. Whether it will just shrivel was my thought and why I thought they may have to carry out some plastic surgery of some sort.

Yes it's empty, bit more "chicken skin" like than usual but it is just skin. Whether it will just shrivel was my thought and why I thought they may have to carry out some plastic surgery of some sort.

It does look very chicken skin like! I honestly cant see ALL of it (the empty bit) shrivelling away, but whether enough shrivels to be able to keep it clean is a mystery.... I'd probably suggest it and see what the vets says, I doubt it would be difficult to remove some. Saggy plums do seem to get dirty!

:oops: Sorry - will put warning in title :rolleyes:

He is actually booked in for his neuter op tomorrow so I'm wondering if they'll do some plastic surgery type thing on him or what, just hoping they will be able to do something :?

lol its my fault!

:lol:

maybe he had a wound there that was swollen for a while whilst he was young and stretched the area:? A cyst that went on its own...:?..or just a unique bun:?
I'm sure the vets can trim him up.
Good luck!

I had a similar problem with Emrys. His tsticles were swollen looking and dark in colour. I thought he had testicular cancer at first.

22Emrys4thFebruaryy2008.jpg

27Emrys4thFebruaryy2008.jpg

He was about 8 months old at that time and newly rescued. When we took him to the vet, we were told Emrys was stressed being in a new environement (although he was licky and hyper playful from day 1) and that with some probiotic water, the infection caused by stress would subside. We got him castrated and now the swelling has gone down and fur has grown over them

Back