• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hand rearing 7 baby bunnies(wild)U/D have gone to wildlife sanctuary

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
ive just had a call from a local vets to ask if i could take 7 wild babie buns and hand rear them they havnt even got their eyes open
i know its not very successful but im prepared to give it a go otheerwise they are going to be pts as wildlife rescue are uncooperative :cry::cry:
i need as much advice as poss
how often do i feed them
do i need to clean their bottoms
and what do i feed them HELP !!!!!!!

Last edited:
when I had reared phoebe, i fed him twice a day on lactol (i think thats its name) by syrine,halfed the amount needed for kittens as per my vets instructions! You can buy this for approx £5 a tin from petshops
Phoebe needed his bum cleaning as he was a bit of a messy boy!
7 is an awful lot to take on for hand rearing, esp if you havent done it before!
Edit: I have nearly a full tin you could have, if tins are allowed to be posted!

Either goats milk or Kitten replacement. I think goats milk slightly leads the which is best ranking but it's harder to acquire.

Just stroke their bits gently after each meal with a damp bit of kitchen towel/cottonwool when they start weeing on you without help whilst they're eating you know they don't need their bottoms doing anymore.

Feed 4 times a day, how much depends on exact age probably 2-5ml per feed. Will be less first few feeds whilst they get the hang.

Best implement is the Mikki mothering kit which has tiny rubber teats otherwise 1ml syringe and be very careful (go slow) so they don't breath it in. As they get a bit older they'll start chomping on the syringe then drink from a bowl.

Tam

Yep, feeding 7 is a time consuming job! You could split the litter in half if you can find a volunteer to take some. It's going to take at least 5-10 minutes per rabbit per feed.

Tamsin

Either goats milk or Kitten replacement. I think goats milk slightly leads the which is best ranking but it's harder to acquire.

Just stroke their bits gently after each meal with a damp bit of kitchen towel/cottonwool when they start weeing on you without help whilst they're eating you know they don't need their bottoms doing anymore.

Feed 4 times a day, how much depends on exact age probably 2-5ml per feed. Will be less first few feeds whilst they get the hang.

Best implement is the Mikki mothering kit which has tiny rubber teats otherwise 1ml syringe and be very careful (go slow) so they don't breath it in. As they get a bit older they'll start chomping on the syringe then drink from a bowl.

Tam

When phoebe was being hand reared my vet recommended that babys are only fed twice as they dont get massive feeds from there mum anyway for how small thier tummys are

Rabbits mums milk is much fatter (49%) than kitten replacer (22%). The extra feeds are to balance that out.

In America you can buy rabbit replacement milk which would be a much better option than KRM or goats milk I haven't found it in the UK. If anyone's handrearing regularly I'd suggest importing some.

Tam

Ohh thats handy tam,cheers! i might get a tin imported just incase :)phoebe was a pain to feed little git what he was. my vet had told me theres no milk that is good as a rabbits twice a day on a kittens milk would be ok, pft vets :roll:

URGENT hand rearing 7 baby bunnies(wild)/ update there here

well, i have the babies here, unfortunately ive spoken to wildlife rescue and like the vets have said they were uncooperative so im there best chance, ive managed to get 1ml of feed into them and they are all sleeping soundly so please send as many vibes as poss that these little ones make it:cry::cry::cry:

there about a week, they have their fur but eyes are still firmly shut

That's about the age I got Scamp, about like this:
baby.jpg

Their eyes open at 10 days. They started opening 36hrs after I took the pic even though look very closed there.

yes thats the spitting image of what these little ones look like im praying they make it

URGENT hand rearing 7 baby bunnies(wild)U/D survived the night

they survived the night:D:D i know its still 50/50 but they are now having 2mls a feed and are now soundly asleep till there next feed anyway please keep these little ones in your thoughts im still keeping everything tightly crossed that they survive

Back