• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Greens

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
After months of wondering what this 'spring green' was i have finally discovered it is a form of cabbage, after spending a good half an hour scouring the vegetable section in asda. Now since his neuter 2 week ago, this is the only veg Rodney (formly sooty) will eat, he nibbles carrot but is only allowed a smll piece of this as it is high in sugar, and he likes brocolli, again i limit this as it can be bad for them. At the moment he gets daily:
1 egg cup full of museli mix in the morning
1 large spring green leaf in the morning
1 egg cup full of museli mix in the evening
1 large spring green leaf in the evening
small bit of carrot in the evening
small bit of broccoli
occasionally he gets apple
he has 2 large handfuls of hay, one in the morning, one in the evening
is he getting enough veg? I have tried all sorts and he just doesn't seem to like it, spinich tomatoes, carrot tops, loads of other stuff. i'm just worried hes not getting enough, and can i give him more of what he does like or is it bad for him? Or is he getting enough already?
i even went round the garden picking grass and dandelion leaves and he wouldn't eat them:roll::roll:
I am going to swap him onto pelleted food, however he is a single bun at the mo, as neutered 2 week ago and i am going to get him a wifey bun, so i am going to wait and swap him onto whatever pellets the girlybun is on, so i don't have to keep swapping and changing. Luckily he eats everything in the mix he doesn't just eat the good bits.
Sorry for long post.

Hello :wave:

Sounds like your bunny is getting a reasonable amount of veggies. Sometimes bunnies can be fussy and spring greens are less likely to cause tummy upsets. Curly kale is also a favourite as is flat leaf parsely but always introduce any new food very gradually-a tiny piece to start off with othewise they could develop upset stomachs.

As far as hay goes your bunny should be encouraged to eat as much as possible and there is no need to restrict the amount given. Ideally hay should provide the bulk of the diet.

With regards to the rabbit food it is best to feed a complete pelleted food as the muesli type mixes are not very nutritious, low in fibre and usually don't provide the complete daily nutrients. A feed such as Science Selective is a very good quality rabbit food, contains all the nutrients needed in pellet form and is high in fibre. It also helps wear the teeth down and is supposedly very palatable, it is very popular with many bunnies and their owners.

If you ever do change feed you have to do it gradually over the course of 10 days to two weeks by gradually weaning them over. Start off adding just a few pellets to the usual mix and then very gradually increase the amount of pellets and reduce the amount of muesli mix.

Best wishes,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I could have told you it was a cabbage if you'd asked! :lol:

i felt a bit silly asking as everyone seemed to know what it was. I found it all packeted up in asda but it was £1.50 for 2 small bags of shredded spring greens so i bought some but thought thats expensive. It wasn't until i looked harder i discovered its a real vegetable and i got 3 for 50p. And i never knew we can eat it! you just boil it. :oops::oops: Oh well at least i know now. :lol:

Back