• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Male of Female? How to tell?

bunnygirlie

New Kit
I bought my bunnies from a lady who didn't mean to have a litter, she thought the male was neutered. Anyway- she wasn't sure if they were boys or girls but thought they were male. How can I tell at 9 weeks?

i turned my boy upside down and had a look :lol: he'd been sexed as a boy but i wanted to make sure. i managed to get his, ahem, willy to 'pop' out so i knew. i did this at 9 weeks quite easily. i'm sure there are threads on here but i'm sure someone who is very experienced at sexing will answer for you soon x

Well I looked and I looked up pictures and I definitely couldn't tell the difference. One of them definitely seems to be female but the other one is questionable.

I have only just learnt (out of necessity) how to sex buns.

You can get things to "pop out" for both. For girls it is like a triangle with a slit that goes from the center up and a boy just has a dot in the middle.

Thats how I look at anyway!

i turned my boy upside down and had a look :lol: he'd been sexed as a boy but i wanted to make sure. i managed to get his, ahem, willy to 'pop' out so i knew. i did this at 9 weeks quite easily. i'm sure there are threads on here but i'm sure someone who is very experienced at sexing will answer for you soon x

The thing what poped out could also be the vulva so it would be better to get a vet nurse to check to be on the safe side.

the boys bits will be a circle and the girls a slit,if you press on between the bits and the anus you will get a better look.

Back