• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help- Nesting/Spaying issues

I doubt you haven't heard all this before but my rabbit, Honey is 7 months and her behaviour has changed.(She lives outside but comes in if it's too wet for her to run around). She nips regularly and is obsessed with baggy trousers and other materials- it seems like she's trying to nip and/or nuzzle in. She won't give up unless u sit down. She is zipping around the place a lot and started pulling her fur out last night. She didn't use towee and poo in the house and she has recently. Is she nesting and in need of doctoring?

I did ring a vet a few weeks ago who got very personal, saying that she would NEVER have her female rabbit spayed as she has never hit 'the stage' and has never had any behavioral problems. She basically thinks I should leave it. But if she is maturing, why should we put up with the change in behaviour.

Honey is on her own, so she doesn't need spaying to prevent babies, but her behaviour has changed a lot.

Please help!:?

IMO get her spayed asap sounds like shes having a phantom pregnancy which can be quite distressing!
Unspayed doe's also are at extreme risk from getting uterine cancer.

Get her spayed! It should calm her down :)

p.s what kind of vet does not reccomend spaying :?

Yes get her spayed, it is ok to spey them from 12 weeks of age so i don't know why a vet would say they aren't ready at 7 months. It is in the rabbits best interest to be speyed - when i was little and inexperienced with rabbits we gave our rabbit back to the breeder in the end, she was lovely to begin with, as soon as her hormones kicked in she was a terror. My Mum nearly had to have stiches from a bite! If we had known better we would have had her speyed instead of giving her back! :(

Thanks so much. Will get on phone now! I think it was the receptionist woman that I spoke to who obviously thinks she has a good knowlodege of bunnies. Because she hasn't had probs with her female, she thinks it's an unnecessary, risky operation to put your rabbit through- silly woman!

Thanks for you replies.

Thanks so much. Will get on phone now! I think it was the receptionist woman that I spoke to who obviously thinks she has a good knowlodege of bunnies. Because she hasn't had probs with her female, she thinks it's an unnecessary, risky operation to put your rabbit through- silly woman!

Thanks for you replies.

So....she doesn't want YOU to get YOUR rabbit spayed because she doesn't have a problem with HERS?:roll:
That's like me not spaying Zakura because Aroma is perfectly nice despite being unneutered. (and Zakura is a real monster...)

If you cannot find a vet near you, I can recommend the one we use in Twickenham. They will let you drop the rabbit off the evening before if dropping off the following morning is a problem. They neuter hundreds of rabbits a year and Christabel is very experienced. If you want a vet in the Bracknell area I know The Duchess (Helen) can recomend one.

Thanks but that's way too far away. we live in Winchester and Honey is a stressy bunny in the car, so the shorter the journey the better.

I have one more number of a vet to try. Will call 2moro. I'm desperate for my lovely cute bunny to come back to us!!

Back