• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walk-in Runs

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
I know this has probably been done (just a few times :lol: ) before but this summer we are hoping to change the buns accommodation. We would like runs that we could stand up in as the ones we have are only 2 feet high and we feel it would be better to have a walk in enclosure. We dont know whether to make one or buy one (if there are any decent ones out there) so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :wave:

PS they have permanent access to the runs via a catflap so obviously the runs would have to be sturdy and safe.

This is my run for the buns:

SP_A0084.jpg

SP_A0087.jpg

Build by a fencing company!
Jack x

Thanks for those! Both great, but it was more the style of yours tamsin as it would need to be totally enclosed. I have 2 very good jumpers :lol: . I would be attaching a shed onto it too. Did you do it yourself or is it from a company? :D

Can't post photos, as I'm too thick, but our runs are very like Tamsin's except they are made of angle iron and weldmesh. 2 of our oldest runs are now unsafe, but the oldest is 15 years old. We are in the process of building new ones which will be the same except we will put the angle iron on a breeze block base to try and prevent the weldmesh rotting. This has worked really well for us, it is so easy to clean, and it is very secure, our run was designed to keep in a wild rabbit! They also have a roof to prevent the runs getting too wet.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll keep any ideas in mind until we decide for definate what we are going to do :D The more ideas the merrier :D

Here's mine.......

DSCF1066.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

The run is made of aviary panels, strengthened with wooden posts in each corner and we made the roof.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello :wave:

It's quite easy to build. The run just consists of aviary panels which you can order or make yourself. There's a place in Devon that sells rolls of mesh quite reasonably priced. The roof was just made of wooden batton with mesh again.

Good luck with your encloure,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

heres mine - hubby made it. its on a concrete base and attatched to a 6' x
3' shed (from focus). they have permanent access through a little tunel. hubby made the run by making aviary-type panels and then fixing all together.
it is fantastic and so much easier to have play-time with the buns and for cleaning. all my other runs are 3' high and i much prefer the walk-in type. good luck and dont forget to show us piccies when you have yours done. x x
newrun170208.jpg

Thanks so much! These are brill too :D . It will prob be in the midst of summer we get round to doing it but if we get the general idea of how to do it etc we could start buying some materials each week so by the time we are able to do it we should have most of the stuff :D
Appreciate people taking the time to show me their runs :D

I've just posted this pic today but here it is again. Our run developed over last summer it was originally knee high but it was impossible to keep all that rain we had off it so the bunnies were in the dark most of the time. My husband built everything you see in the pic (especially the mess :lol: ). It was expensive you are better buying materials week by week not just loading the credit card :oops:. The roof I think cost the most as he HAD to have the proper screws, but it is worth it. He now wants to add a second 'floor' leading into the top tier of the hutch. We shall see if that appears over this summer!

005-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

Thats a nice one too :D Im spoilt for choice! I want to do it for both sets of bunnies - but doubt i could afford to do them both this summer. Will do one this summer and the other next summer depending on cost (and also hubby getting his butt into gear and getting it done :lol: )

Im in the process of giving my buns a new house and am having 2 6x4 sheds each with their own runs the height of the shed aswell...
My last buns had a simple steel wire mesh (with chicken wire over the top of that for extra safety) and 6 posts put in the ground with the metal stakes you can get (saves concreting them in!) and a flat wire roof... they didnt mind the rain :roll::lol:
And a door going into it so we could mow the grass if needed (too much grass too little time to eat it... Love the houses on here!! Looks more fun than my own house!

Wow, this thread is really inspiring! We have a builder coming next week to lay the foundation for my new bun shed and walk-in run, so these pictures are brilliant. Great thread :wave:

I am going to have one made in the summer. Also if the hutch is inside a fox would have to get into the run before it gets to the hutch.

Back