• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eye problems

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Hello
A few years back my bun Tiff had babies who didn't have proper tear ducts, due to that there eyes would get sticky and sometimes have creamy white stuff in there eyes. The vet looked them over and said that it was because the lack of a tear duct and all we could do was keep there eyes clean with wipes etc. Now my bun Bugs has the same problem, with my rabbit Hoppy his eyes didnt get bad for a few years, but Bugs isn't even a year old yet. Do any of you have a rabbit with the same problem? If so how is it treated?

I have a photo of Bugs taken today to show you
DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Last edited:
My Blue had problems with his tear ducts, he had to have them flushed out quite often and he had Tiacil eye drops prescribed by the vet. Also using small animal eye wipes made it abit more bareable for us both, he had alot of white discharge comign out his eyes. It was caused by his teeth growing up into them.

Do you think we should get the vet to check his teeth?
I took my Hoppy to the vets a few times but they said we couldn't do
anything for his eyes, but that was like 4 years ago.. so i don't know if they would prescribe Bugs some eye drops?? I hate to see his eyes all sticky, he is so young and lively, but looks such a mess :(

Yeah. definatley get his teeth checked, that could be the main cause of the problem.
I know it's horrible seeing their eyes like that :(

:wave:get your vet to use chloramphenical. use it all the time on mine easy to use as it is a drop medicine and all you have to do is do that twice aday and a couple of drops into the eye. hope it helps.

:wave:get your vet to use chloramphenical. use it all the time on mine easy to use as it is a drop medicine and all you have to do is do that twice aday and a couple of drops into the eye. hope it helps.

Thank you, i will ask the vet about that :)
and i'll get his teeth checked

When one of our rabbits got myxi we found luke warm black tea brill for cleaning their eyes. It seemed to have some sort of refreshing affect. Not great if you have a bunny with a white face tho! :lol:

Back