• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo vaccination

christelle

Young Bun
All the stuff I read on the vaccinations say that the Myxo vaccination should be given at least 2 weeks AFTER the other one.... I'm pretty sure my vet gave my bunny the other vaccination 1st, and yesterday gave him the myxo one...
does it make a difference? the order in which they are given? i would have thought that as long as the vaccinations are 2 weeks apart, it should be fine...

Well generally at my vets they give the Mxy one 1st and then the VHD 2 weeks later. I would have thought either way round would be alright as long as they are at least 2 weeks apart.

yes mine do myxi first,
my two are off to vets tonight for their vhd jabs, and I have fingers crossed that there won't be any side affects.

fingers crossed for them!
If you happen to chat to the vet, maybe you could ask him if there's a reason why they're supposed to do the vaccinations that way>? I don;t feel comfortable asking my vet as they obviously did not follow the usual procedure, and they might just lie.... I'd really appreciate it!

I think the reason vets automatically give the myxi first is because it can be given to rabbit earlier than the VHD....myxi from 6 weeks and VHD from 10 weeks.

Most bunnies are brought at 8 weeks and have their first jabs then so by the time 2 weeks have passed they are old enough for the VHD.

In an adult rabbit or a bun over 10 weeks I dont believe the order of the vaccines matters.

Back