• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bark in a run

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I am currently making a new run attached to my hutch, with a few tunnels leading up to the grass run, and originally I was going to put slabs down on the one attached to the hutch, as they will have access to the grass once its finished.

My hubby just called and asked if bark would be better in the one attached to the hutch. I ideally wanted slabs so their claws would have some attention, but I was wondering if to put some slabs and some bark. So my question is, Is it safe? do they eat it? and will it hurt their feet? Its kids play bark if that makes any difference.
I guess if its safe and they chewed on it, it wouldn't harm them as would be good for their teeth, but I want to be sure before its purchased.

Also does anyone else use it?

To be honest i dont know, my bun was free to run around the garden (supervised at all times of course) we have bark all round the edges, i never saw him pick any up but he did use to pick up twigs strnage bunny!! I will leave it to an expert on here! x

My garden is all landscaped with gravel and plants, just with a little wild area at the end. Between all the plants I have bark chippings down and the bunnies get to run free in the garden every day. They dig in it to get to the soil underneath, or just ignore it. Nigel investigates through it to get the bits of bird seed that have fallen off the bird table, and Doris likes to skate across the garden on loose piles of it :lol: but none of them have ever eaten it, it's safe for them. THere shouldn't be any chemicals in it, but if there is after a few rains it should wash away. :)

I have bark in the avairy and the buns love it.

It covers the slabs and they dig around in it , i chose the one that was suitable for childrens playgrounds i replace it every couple of months i have never seen them try to eat it.

We use a combination of slabs & bark in our run (for last 15 months). Never seen them eat it or have any problems with their feet. Its much better than grass which got turned into mud with them having 24 hr access. The only drawback is they seem to prefer one part of it to their litter tray, so I'm shovelling out & replacing that bit twice a week.

Mike

Back