• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Shocked am I!

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Went to the vets this morning with Harvey for his op. Turns out Harvey is a girl! :shock: :oops:

Im in total shock - have had her since early Jan, along with Willow my other bun. They came from two separate places, one day apart from eachother. These are my very first buns and I accepted (stupidly) that they'd been sexed correctly. Have been keeping them separate, buying separate hutches for them and putting them in the run separately, etc. Since moving into their shed they have been separated by a mesh divider.

I feel really silly as I check their rear ends every day but haven't paid too much attention to their bits. I just kept laughing when the vet said Harvey was a she. Always thought he was a very pretty boy! Can't really change her name now - so was thinking maybe Harvey-etta or Harvey-ess.

Has this happened to anyone else or am i the only gullible fool on here?

Here is Harvey:

DSCF1488.jpg

Yup - been there!! :oops: One question though ... How come your vet had booked "him" in for the op without first checking either him or with you that he had his bits? :shock:

Yup - been there!! :oops: One question though ... How come your vet had booked "him" in for the op without first checking either him or with you that he had his bits? :shock:

Yeah - I know - she was really embarrassed as she has seen him twice now as he has recently had his myxi and vhd jabs. I think it was because I have taken both rabbits in at the same time and although she does always give them a thorough check i.e. hearts, tummies, ears, teeth, etc., we realised today that she has checked Willow's bits but had missed doing Harveys. I think its part my fault tho as I am always asking so many questions whilst Im there. :?

Not to worry - the good point is that I can now get on with bonding them. I just feel really silly.

It does happen surprisingly alot, im sure someone posted about the same thing the other day so you are not alone:lol:
Sallyx

lol happened with both Misty and Binky i bought them both as girls lukily i gave them unisex names so it wasnt as awkuad when i noticed they were boys :oops:

:wave: that happened with my bun Phoebe, but like you Phoebe was already named so now hes a pretty baby boy called Phoebe :lol:

Glad to see Harvey not alone then!! Tried bonding her with Willow yesterday for a few hours in the run - Willow is smaller than her but she was the one throwing her 1.6kgs around.

She was chasing Harvey and trying to hump her. Poor Harvey musnt know whats going on - in the morning the vet was looking for non-existent testicles then in the afternoon, the bunny who has always been on the other side of the mesh was trying to hump her head!!

Kept them separate again last night and will give them some more supervised time in the run later.

Hope Im going about this the right way now.

Glad to see Harvey not alone then!! Tried bonding her with Willow yesterday for a few hours in the run - Willow is smaller than her but she was the one throwing her 1.6kgs around.

She was chasing Harvey and trying to hump her. Poor Harvey musnt know whats going on - in the morning the vet was looking for non-existent testicles then in the afternoon, the bunny who has always been on the other side of the mesh was trying to hump her head!!

Kept them separate again last night and will give them some more supervised time in the run later.

Hope Im going about this the right way now.

If Harvey was neutered yesterday, it is best to leave a week before bonding the two girls together as the stress folowing surgery with a bonding can put her into stasis. She will also be sore following neutering and really could do with some time to settle before she is paired up.

If she hasn't been neutered, bonding two unneutered females can often be a little tricky.

If Harvey was neutered yesterday, it is best to leave a week before bonding the two girls together as the stress folowing surgery with a bonding can put her into stasis. She will also be sore following neutering and really could do with some time to settle before she is paired up.

If she hasn't been neutered, bonding two unneutered females can often be a little tricky.

Once I found out Harvey was in fact a girl - I decided, along with the vet, to leave it a little while and have both girl buns spayed at the same time as each other.

So, for now, I am focusing on the bonding bit.

Back