• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice for a newbie

sidsmum

Young Bun
hi , i got sid on saturday 8 weeks old and beautiful.at the min he has free run of half the garden and a small hutch and ramp and hes been out all day and hutched at night.now hes finding his feet hes hiding under the play house and exploring various other hidey holes which i have since blocked off or filled in. ihave 2 questions firstly should i leave him a safe space to hide where he can retreat or is he likely to buroow? and secondly how can i covert a wooden play house into a happy home for sid and do away with the hutch altogether?great forum by the way ive learnt loads already just reading !
thanks in advance katex:wave:

:wave:

If you are letting him have "free run" then be sure to supervise at all times as cats are darn fine hunters as are birds of prey.;)

I would think that he may very well burrow - you will need keep an eye out for that and fill any holes that get too deep before you have an escapee on your hands...

As for a wooden play house I believe LOTS of people have done that and have posted pics. that may help you. I am not too good at making links (if somebody would be so kind to do if for me please??:)) but you should be able to get lots of ideas if you use the search tool.

WELCOME TO RU AND THE BEST OF LUCK WITH SID!!!

TP;)

welcome to the forum.:wave:

try to let him have a place where he can hide but won't burrow- he might like to play in a cardboard box with holes to crawl through - or you could buy him a tunnel or use a pipe. I expect you will have lots of support on here. I hope you enjoy your new bun.-Sue:wave:

(a single rabbit can easily burrow down 2ft a day)

thanks for replying since typing first post he has hid under playhouse and wont come out he isnt burrowing just kinda sat there quite relaxed any ideas if this is normal behaviour?

Yep, he knows you can't get him, and he is sitting there laughing at you!
Buns are a lot smarter than people think.
Has he got access to his hutch during the day, I find mine like to curl up somewhere safe for a nap in the middle of the day.

sids now under the playhouse and refusing to come out.i know its warm and dry under there but i dont know what to do ?how do you get a stubborn lil rabbit to be where you need him to be any ideas please help!

he does have hutch access all day but chooses obscure places like under the flamin playhouse i am soooo gonna block those gaps up once hes outta there!

Hi there and welcome.

Once you've got him out, personally I would pop him in his hutch until you can organise an attached run so that he can be safe from preditors.

As already mentioned in the thread, he is at risk if he manages to burrow out and also from foxes, birds, etc etc.

I would only let him back out in the garden free range (if at all) once you have made it bunny safe, BUT only when you are able to supervise him at all times. When you're not around he should be confined to a safe area where he can not get harmed or attacked by preditors and also where he has no access to plants that may by harmful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunny parenting!:D

Back