• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large pet shop chain

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I went into a local large pet shop chain today and asked for a bag of short cut hay, I was told "short cut hat, what's that", I explained the situation and the lady said "won't they eat hay if it's long then" I told her it was for bedding for 2 very old bunnies at which point she interupted me and said "Oh you should NEVER bed rabbits on hay because they eat it!!", I said really and what do you suggest I bed them on then, she said "You should always bed them on straw or shavings" and I said well what happens if they wee on it and the lady said "well that doesn't matter it won;t hurt them"

I then informed her that her rabbit enclosure had no hay and the lady said "but I gave them a handful this morning", I pointed out that there were 8 rabbits in there and they do eat hay, "OK" she said, needless to say I left the shop as I was getting quite angry by this stage.

Why don't these places train their staff!!:evil::evil:

Last edited:
I havn't stepped foot in a petshop for three months now and I've found my stress levels have remained much more stable without the experience.

Thank heavens for the internet.

Stupid people :roll:

No wonder you see so many buns with bad teeth if the advice is like this :rolleyes:

Oh dear. :( How frustrating.

We went into a country shop last weekend (they have a chain in the south of England only) and I had a look at the rabbit hutches they were selling. They were all tiny and they wanted 70 Pounds for them. I'd guess they were between 2 and 3 ft in length. :roll:

A pet shop near us (I have to use it to buy degu food) doesn't even sell hay, apart from the herbage stuff for £8. Or that really fine stuff that says bedding hay clearly on the front. They sell rabbits too. We were asking for eating hay once when we'd gotten low and she didn't understand the question and tried to give us straw. Didn't understand we wanted the rabbits to eat it.

I can see where she's coming from - she's probably thinking that you shouldn't bed them on hay because they'll wee on it then eat it, but if they wee on the straw or shavings it doesn't matter, because they won't eat it. Makes sense to me - or am I missing something? :oops:

I can see where she's coming from - she's probably thinking that you shouldn't bed them on hay because they'll wee on it then eat it, but if they wee on the straw or shavings it doesn't matter, because they won't eat it. Makes sense to me - or am I missing something? :oops:

Oh crikey!, I think you are missing something

Maybe you should write a poem about pet shops.

Pray for all those bunnies,
endless breeding,
taken from mommy too young,
so sad, so sad.

Act now,
tell them what's wrong.

Help these poor creatures,
or things will never change,
make a difference now,
every bunny counts.

I hope Neil approves of this.

I can understand how she came to that conclusion... it's the mentality of 'why would you let them sleep and wee in their food'.

Though personally I do not agree that "you should never bed them on hay" ;)

I can understand how she came to that conclusion... it's the mentality of 'why would you let them sleep and wee in their food'.

Though personally I do not agree that "you should never bed them on hay" ;)

I'm not even going to waste my time in explaining, suffice it to say that the staff haven't got a clue, why don't these places train their staff

Maybe you should write a poem about pet shops.

Pray for all those bunnies,
endless breeding,
taken from mommy too young,
so sad, so sad.

Act now,
tell them what's wrong.

Help these poor creatures,
or things will never change,
make a difference now,
every bunny counts.

I hope Neil approves of this.

I think Neil would be very proud of you, trouble is would any of the staff be able to read it:lol::lol:

Oh dear. What did you say to them to get banned? :shock:

Told a customer that a rex rabbit was not a good pet for her 2 year old daughter after the manager had got it out of the run for the little girl to cuddle on the shop floor!, mind you that manager has left now and the rest of the staff change so much that they don;t even know, I kept going in anyway to see if they would do anything but the didn't

Told a customer that a rex rabbit was not a good pet for her 2 year old daughter after the manager had got it out of the run for the little girl to cuddle on the shop floor!, mind you that manager has left now and the rest of the staff change so much that they don;t even know, I kept going in anyway to see if they would do anything but the didn't

:D I have talked several people out of buying a rabbit for their kids, but never in front of pet shop staff. I am too insecure for that. Well done for saying something.

:D I have talked several people out of buying a rabbit for their kids, but never in front of pet shop staff. I am too insecure for that. Well done for saying something.

Well, you know me, I always say what I think, usually gets me into trouble but at least people know I tell them the truth

Back