• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hutches

Elimy1987

Warren Scout
Has anyone ever made there own rabbit hutch? Im thinking of doing this...my dad has offered to help too which is good, where did people get plans and that kinda stuff..pics appreciated too if you have made one :)

My first pair of rabbits lived in a hutch/run combo that my dad built; he found out what space was needed for one bun to lie down in and stand up in, doubled it and built the hutch to that size, was about 6' wide, 2' deep & 3' tall! Run was huge too & permanently attached! No pictures though, sorry!

yup my dad made mine for me with a 6ft sq attatchable run too....lol i told him what i wanted and he built what i drew. i said my perfect hutch is ..... 6ft x 3ftx2ft with 3 front doors (1 is for sleeping which needs to be about a 3rd of hutch space and it needs to be very waterproof and no sharp screws.... it should be sturdy and strong.... i want a little bunny ramp not to steep with steps on it for them to use... i need galvanised mesh on it and proper bolts not silly spinny catches. and i drew a piccy and he built it its brilliant was my xmas pressie and the buns seem to love it! bless him he is a star here is a piccy beore it came here

Hutch.jpg

These hutches are well good :) given me lots of ideas! fanx guys initially i wanted to buy a wendy house and attach a run but i really aint got the space in my garden haha! Two sheds is enough haha..bunnys occupying one at the mo in his hutch currently but hopefully get to make another for a new addition i want! ...Sorry i do go on haha xx

Here is my old handy-Dads handy work for our 2 girls (I did the roof which I am quite proud of:). Me and my partner sat in the pub one night and drew what we wanted on a scrap of paper and worked out measurements from there. We think he did a great job. Basically its a frame of 4x4 supports with 2 tongue & groove floors and then tongue & groove cladded back & sides and wire mesh (£5 per roll from wilkos) everywhere else. It is so solid it takes 4 men to move it and It is 3.5ft deep and 7ft wide, I am 5.8" so you can see how tall it is. It cost in total about £200 for the wood (cladding is the thick 20mm stuff) varnish and catches - wood yards are brilliant value and they will cut pieces for you. When we looked at what we would have got ready made for £200 there is absolutely no comparison. Good luck with yours.

Picture023.jpg

This is my home built effort, it's 6ft x2ft, 5 yrs old, recently re-felted and painted. The sleeping part is only half the full height with a shelf above for jumping onto. Our two would use the open doors as a ramp for free range time although it makes cleaning out a little trickier.

Hutch1.jpg

Hutch2.jpg

Mike

Back