• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meadow Grass... How should it smell?

honey61

Mama Doe
I have just opened a bag of Oxbow Meadow Grass expecting it to smell as sweet as it looked.... it didn't :(

As I pulled out a handful, its appearance changed from a lush green to a somewhat brownish grey. It doesn't appear to mouldy, but it doesn't smell very appetising either. (I've put it back in the bag).
Neither of my pair eat a lot of hay, so trying to tempt them with different varieties.... this is the 5th!

Could someone please describe (if possible) how meadow grass should smell & what, if any variations in colour/texture you would expect to see?

Sorry if this sounds a daft question :oops:

I've always seen it described as sweet smelling. It can be browner because of the bad weather last year I think.

Have you tried the dustfree hay. Mine love it, and it's the only one Squidgy will eat.

I buy a bale of good quality hay (dust free they say) locally, but wanted to give them some variety to compliment it.
I was just a little disappointed by the contents & wary of giving it to them. It does have a rather strong musty smell & as I've never tried it before, wondered if this was normal.

Back