• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Help anyone u/d photos

Kay

Mama Doe
Hello

I need some advise please.

Yesterday Spice came to stay with us to be bonded with Arthur. At first Arthur was charging at the fence lunging at her but calmed down really quickly.

Today I introduced them in the bathroom and shock and surprise there were no fights, just a little of Arthur humping but nothing vicious, he even laid down next to her and he seems smitten.

Problem is that she wants to be away from him and as soon as he gets close to sniff her she bolts. I took the plunge and put them together in a pet carrier and took them for a drive which was brilliant. No fighting and they laid down resting on each other. They are both in Arthur's run and hutch and whilst there is a little chasing its not vicious again. Arthur seems totally in love but she just runs away.

Do I just leave them together tonight? and hope that she eventually comes to realise that he is being friendly?

I don't know what to do. If I separate them will they forget how well they are getting on? thanks

Last edited:
As it's early days I'd say yes, leave them together but have them somewhere you can "keep an ear on them" over night :D

Thank you its great having some re-assurance. I am really trying not to be hopeful but I am at the same time so chuffed that Arthur isn't being aggressive. To see him lay down earlier and let her sniff him was amazing.

Thank you its great having some re-assurance. I am really trying not to be hopeful but I am at the same time so chuffed that Arthur isn't being aggressive. To see him lay down earlier and let her sniff him was amazing.

:wave::wave: no advice i'm afraid but i hope it all goes okay, sounds like they are on the right track though!

Yes don't seperate them now, as you'll have to start again tomorrow. When I bonded all mine they were left together outside in the hutch, I checked on them before bed and first thing in the morning and they were fine, although if I'd been worried in any way I probably wouldn't have left them alone. Sounds like yours will bond fine :)

i think Spice running away is normal, it will just take her a little time to get used to Arthur. she might not be used to any buns and so is a little unsure

:shock::shock::lol: looky looky, I can't believe that I am actually getting them to bond!! Fingers crossed its going pretty well considering last week he came back from an unsucessful bonding at the rescue having fought with three buns including this one!

Keeping an eye on each other.
Picture607.jpg

Bit of a sniff
Picture608.jpg

Eating together
Picture609.jpg

Arthur actually lays down! This is a huge thing for him to relax!
Picture604.jpg

Fingers crossed all goes well tonight. There is still no aggression still so they are together in the hutch/run.

I am sooo excited I just checked them in the run and they are snuggled together!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

wow that's such great news. the pictures look really promising. i love the one nose to nose. let us know how the night goes, bet you won't be sleeping that much:lol:

I think when they are finally bonded I will fall into an exhausted sleep for a week! lol.

I shall let you know how its going tomorrow, I hope it stays positive :D

Isn't she though :love:

They spent the whole night together with no hassle. I froze as I left the window open so I could hear them, and I hardly slept but they did :roll: :lol: they were all snuggled up this morning.

She still runs away from him but not as far as she ran yesterday, its all very encouraging! I will wait a bit longer before I can finally shout from the rooftops that Arthur has a wife! :lol:

oh Kay that's great news. I have been following Arthur's bonding attempts and hoping that he would find a lovely wifeybun. Spice is gorgeous...hope they are snuggling up today:D

thank you everyone, you've really been great help and support.

Here are some photos taken this morning:

A real lady and the tramp moment, they were eating the same strand of hay :love:
Picture613.jpg

And the chaos and mess that is now my garden! :lol: I used the cuddly toy on the grass as a way of getting Arthur's aggression out. Spice is moulting so I used some of that fur and stuck it too the toy. Arthur attacked the toy but when it didn't attack back he relaxed and they became friends! awww
Picture611.jpg

and yes that is a toy seal in the other hutch :lol: I wiped the toy over Arthur and put it in with her at first so she could smell him too.

Sending along some extra bonding vibes for you to keep in reserve, but it all looks very promising so far:D

aww fantastic news, you must be so pleased. What did Caroline say? Why do you think Arthur wouldn't bond at Carolines but did at yours?

Aww they look good together, when I bonded Dusty and Meggie she just legged it every time he went anywhere near her, kept an eye on them and the next day they were all snuggled up and lots of washing!
Hope everything keeps going well!

Thanks everyone, its so exciting and I never thought I'd be able to do it at home.

Hi Sue, I don't know why they bonded here and not at Carolines but my theory is that:
a) we did Tellington Touch on Arthur beforehand and he really relaxed.
b) its just them in a very quiet garden - no noise from other rabbits and general distractions so all they had to think about was each other.
c) I think Arthur was more laid back at home, he was very unsettled at Caroline's - nothing she'd done he is just a bit skitty, and
d) My sisters idea at making a decoy with some of Spice's moult fur tied to a teddy really helped. Before that he was on the defensive thinking she would bite him like Roxy did. He was able to attack the decoy and then when it didn't fight back he calmed right down.

Tonight they ate out of the same bowl and Arthur actually started gently grooming her back! They are still not 100% there but certainly on their way! No one is more shocked them me! lol

If it stays like this then we are going to rename her as Molly, she really suits it and Molly and Arthur are from Harry Potter and my Dad is a HP fan and said we had to call her that :lol: She doesn't come to Spice and doesn't realise we want her attention when we call her.

Back