• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie - with hutch questions

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
:wave: Hi, I'm new here so just wanted to say hello, whilst posting a new message.

I have two rescue lop rabbits both aged about four years old. One is called Bumble and the other Button, and neither enjoy my company but they love each other.

There current hutch is too small and I'm about to buy a new one, does anyone have an opinion about this one:- http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_...=3167&osCsid=2e3350861e24baf165d121c4c44a90b0

I currently let them out into my garden every day, which is very small and all patio but it's secure, as they need to run about. This new hutch has a run so will it be okay to keep them in there or should I let them outside of it as well?

Secondly, their current hutch has a blanket with a rain cover, made for the hutch, but this new one doesn't have a rain cover - what do people use when it's cold?

Thank you, and sorry for so many questions except I've only just found this forum, which I think is fabulous by the way.:wave:

Be interesting to see what people say about this hutch/run as i was greatly interested but someone worked out the sizes and it was too small from what i can remember!!

We will see...

Hi btw, its addictive ill warn you now!!:wave:

Even with a run it would be too small? Be nice to get this sorted before I buy this time.

Also, have looked at other hutch / run combinations and my rabbits are in an alley way, so need a side on run, otherwise to get a run in front of their hutch they would be far away from the house and everyone.

I find that hutch too small, as in the indoor bit is too small. Why not get a hutch/run combo like this:

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=90&categoryID=6

Much more space for the rabbits.

If they have permanant access to a run, they don't need to go for a run around the whole garden, but of course, you can let them if you want to.

I use an old duvet cover and plastic sheet to place over the hutch when it's raining and at night.

If you can't have a run in front, what about this hutch?

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6

If you used this one, you would have to let them out every so often in the garden, so they can get proper exercise.

Even with a run it would be too small? Be nice to get this sorted before I buy this time.

Also, have looked at other hutch / run combinations and my rabbits are in an alley way, so need a side on run, otherwise to get a run in front of their hutch they would be far away from the house and everyone.

Yeah apparently so! Do you have french lops did you say? You have to be careful with ramps! Im adjusting my ramps so she can fit lol!

Happy hutch company do some great hutch/runs which are highly recommended!!

Personally I think it is fine as a hutch. The run size is just over 6ft by 3ft and it has plenty of height. I would still let them out every day though too. Only thing I have a problem with is the kind of wood that these mass produced hutches are made of. Being mass produced they use cheaper red wood and after buying two runs made from the same stuff I woudn't spend my money on them again.
Rabbits like to chew, but hutches made from decent timber can withstand it, these products made from soft wood just can't and it will be ruined very quickly. You would need to reinforce the wood and find some way of protecting it from being chewed.

I know a lot of people on here have the happy hutch/rydale hutchs that are 6ft by 2ft hutches on 6ft by 4ft runs and they are quite a bit cheaper. Also they are made from good quality timber and will last you years. :)

:wave: Welcome!!

Yes it looks big but have seen one and they are little! Ive just bought a 6ft happy hutch for my two from ebay:

myhutch.jpg

I've spent hours and hours looking. They are currently in a double decker and they seem to like that. How do I know if the new one's too small? I've one dwarf lop and the other is a french lop, thanks again.

I'd be interested to know how big the hutch bit is. As a guide, the whole run with hutch inside is 6.6 X 3.1 ft from what I can tell.

The RSPCA recommends a hutch alone of 6 X 2 for 2 medium size rabbits. Since your Frenchie is giant sized I'd say it would be best for it to be bigger.

Unless they had permanent access to another run area. Then it would be nice since the small hutch bit for shelter may resemble a burrow for them. However you have to bear in mind the indoor space will need room for them both to sleep eat and toilet. :)

Hello :wave:

I've seen this in my local Kennel Gate and personally I think the hutch bit is far too small. I think there is better value for money to be had out there. Happy Hutch seem good and a lot of people have these on here. :D

:wave: Hi, I'm new here so just wanted to say hello, whilst posting a new message.

I have two rescue lop rabbits both aged about four years old. One is called Bumble and the other Button, and neither enjoy my company but they love each other.

There current hutch is too small and I'm about to buy a new one, does anyone have an opinion about this one:- http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_...=3167&osCsid=2e3350861e24baf165d121c4c44a90b0

I currently let them out into my garden every day, which is very small and all patio but it's secure, as they need to run about. This new hutch has a run so will it be okay to keep them in there or should I let them outside of it as well?

Secondly, their current hutch has a blanket with a rain cover, made for the hutch, but this new one doesn't have a rain cover - what do people use when it's cold?

Thank you, and sorry for so many questions except I've only just found this forum, which I think is fabulous by the way.:wave:

you can buy them separate or have them custom made but a lot of people make their own...I made mine by wrapping two layers of bubble wrap in some waterproof canvas and nailing it along the top of the hutch, then making like elastic tie things to hold it down at the bottom.

Back