• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

itchy ears?

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
over the last few days i've noticed that Carlton always scratched his left ear alot more than his right, both ears are very clean (i looked up pics of ears with mites) and he doesn't scratch it until it bleeds or anything. he grooms and cleans his ears as normal but sometimes he just jumps up suddenly to clean the one left ear.

his behaviour hasn't changed so it doesn't seem to be affecting him if it is anything. i didn't even think to say to the vet on friday, i was too worried about the neuter! he's going back on wednesday for a check up so i'll mention it then. he has been panacurred.

am i just being a frantic worrier?!

I would be quite eager to hear the replies on this one too...Misty has been doing this for a while. Her ears seem clean as a whistle and like Carlton she doesnt OVER scratch...hmmm strange. We will be at the vets in a week so will ask too :thumb:

Hows his lil bits doing??

Hows his lil bits doing??

i've had a peek and i can't help but laugh at the little bald patch he has and these two sad little empty sacks!!

he's very well, he's making up for lack of goolies by starting to throw things around! he never did that before! he found one of those international plug converters when i was cleaning out a draw and has been gleefully chucking about! :lol:

you wouldn't even know he's had it done, he didn't mope about or anything!

D&J sometimes do this aswell? I think it is just a sort of like way to say "Come on- you have got to clean those ears!":lol::lol:

Same here, ours has been doing it for a few days now, scratching his ears, face and shaking his head, we took him to the vets and he used a scope/light thing but said he couldnt see anything, so no idea what it is..

I read somewhere you can rub oil on their ears but I can't find it and forgot which oil it was?..

I got a little baby brush too and been brushing his ears.

If I find anything I will update..

M

mites you cant really see with the nekied eye, have you checked for fleas, or maybe he got that annoying moth in the feel we all get you know when we want to stick a hair pin in your ear to scratch it, or maybe the skins a little dry what with the humid weather we have been having, used any differant cleaners, that might be irratateing, is he trying to stick his paw right in his ear, or mayyyyyybe he has a little bit of hay in there see if he will let you have a good look

Hi Areia:)

The vet used a light scope thingy and looked inside his ear, and said there was no soreness or crustyness etc, and examined the back and said looks normal.

I don't know if its the same with the other folks buns on this post

But I noticed he seems to scratch right at the back of his ear and it's as though he's pulling something off with his back foot, then he puts his back foot in his mouth, Im going to get a magnifying glass with a light on it today and have a proper look, like you said it's hard to see titchy critters like mites etc.

We've not changed cleaners, we use conficlean mostly, It could be dry like you said because it's been so clammy, do you know what we could rub on his ears just in case?.

Hopefully if I can get a magnifer today I can see more, I will go and have another look again now and comb his fur back check for dryness etc, Thanks for the suggestions:)

M

Squidgy had some drops for his right ear (Canaural), as he was scratching and shaking his head a lot. He had a build up in his ear of dry skin, etc. Not mites.
He's much better now.

Itchy ears

Hi Everyone,
I have noticed recently that one of my rabbits, Smokey is shaking his head quite abit, I have taken a look in his ear and smelt it as they say you should smell something. His ears smells the same as norm.
I have 3 rabbits altogrther but only one is shaking his head and ears.:rabbit2:
I keep asking but no one can say what is the cause, my last rabbit(their mum), used to shake her head and ears and when I took her to the vets , they could not see anything, it got put down to abit of fir on the ears that was the cause of it.
Thanks
Brooksey x

I had a similar problem with Munch. The vet couldnt see anything wrong with his ear but did say that a rabbits ear canal is so long you cant really see all the way down to the bottom & prescribed me ears drops as a precaution. Im at work now or Id tell you waht theyre called. They seemed to do the trick though. Vet thought Munch may have been producing too much wax though couldnt see any

alvin scratches his ears all the time, vet has had a good look down there and said theres slightly more than normal wax but couldnt see any creepy crawlies.. i think its the hay irritating the poor little soul.... lop ears such a stoopid design :roll:

LauraLou I actually took Misty to the vets cos shes was itching and her whiskers went funny aswell turned out she had mites, they gave me spot on for her and its cleaned up a treat :wave::wave::wave:

yeah, the vet couldn't see anything and I was probably being over cautious. He still prefers to clean that ear more than the other but they are both as clean as a whistle, maybe it's a lop thing, i'm not sure. :wave:

I just saw this and my first reaction was that his plums had grown back and he had to have a reneuter!! :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Back