• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do p@h check for pregnancy before adoption?

Hugbut

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone knows if P@H check their rabbits for pregnancy before putting them in the rehoming centre? I saw a bun in there today who had a huge tummy - i know she might just be overweight, but was wondering all the same :D

No way to be 100% sure with rabbits without a scan or waiting 4 weeks. They might check but I wouldn't guarantee they are right. Particularly is it's early stages - there would be no way to tell if it's only a few days in.

Tamsin

I know someone who purchased a rabbit from then and not out of the adoption bit and 2 weeks later it give birth:shock:

Yes to be fair to them it isn't easy to tell if a rabbit is pregnant or not. Probably the best thing for them to do is to keep a rabbit in for a few weeks before rehoming if there are any suspicions. I think they only quarantine for a few days before putting them up for adoption.

I have had loads of pigs who have apparently been the result of parents purchased from this store who have been rehomed as either single pigs or bought as same sex pairs.

Like rabbits there is no positive way to tell that they are not pregnant.

Dora was in the P@H adoption centre and she was up for rehoming. 3 weeks after Caroline took her in and I fostered her she gave birth to 3 babies!

Back