• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bun(nies)

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
I can't help it any longer..I have to share these pics!
11 days ago Aroma delivered 12 kits....: A rather big amount for a first time rex mother, so only 5 are alive today sadly..
Firstpicture.jpg

First time I saw them early was early morning on April 3. Aroma was busy working on her nest (took a break to eat the apple I gave her when this photo was taken) so I just snapped this photo and left her alone.
Babybuns.jpg

I later came to count them...and got shocked on the huge amount. Its the biggest litter that's been born at school since I started...even bigger than the time a school lop dwarf delivered 10 babies, only 7 made it.
(And yes I am touching newborns, the mother didn't mind and as you will see from the later pictures, she didn't eat them...well some she probably did eat but they were so small and skinny they didn't make it past a few days.)
Here are some pics from today:
There are three black babies (originally 5) that are the spitting image of their father:D
Littlebunny.jpg

Crouchingbunny.jpg

Stretchedbunny.jpg

Here's one that both acts and looks like his/her dad:lol:
Rocketbunny.jpg

Dad:
Daddy.jpg

One rabbit looks like its mother. (Once again: used to be 3 of them)
Its already gotten a new home at my school (and since they were born there...it's not moving far:lol:)
P1010027.jpg

Look! I can stand!
Sablebunny.jpg

Ow! Fell over..
Tumblingbunny.jpg

And last but not least. My personal favourite. I couldn't sell this thing for a million dollars. So he's staying. (Or moving home...depending on how you see it)
Albinorabbit.jpg

REW REX! :shock: (At least I'm 90% sure of it as I haven't yet seen its eyes) Rather surprising one black and one dark brown (sable) bunny produced one white kit isn't it? :lol: And yeah...there were 4 white ones originally. One of which you can see in the first picture and it was half the size of it's siblings... :cry: Rest in Peace everyone..

Bonus. The brown kit is special not only for being the only sable in the litter, it's also fat. Here shown with its current smallest sibling.:shock:
BigandSmall.jpg

I'm somehow suspecting he's taking all the food the little one was meant to have. Sadly at this age there's little more I can do but make sure mom has enough food so she'll give milk to all her babies, not just her little clone:roll:

The REW (or in this case, Ermine) gene is a C series gene, the same as sable. Its a completely recessive gene so both parents must be carrying it.

The REW (or in this case, Ermine) gene is a C series gene, the same as sable. Its a completely recessive gene so both parents must be carrying it.

Thanks, I already knew that:D. Aroma's grandfather is REW but I didn't expect Sasuke to carry it though:shock: I suspect he's got it from his father, who was blue sable, but it was a pleasant surprise:D

Yes:shock:
I still remember when I was counting...Some other students who had rabbits at school too who were feeding just then were watching as I took them out and went "9. 10. HOW MANY BABIES DOES SHE HAVE? :shock: 11. 12!"
I never really expected them all to make it though:cry:

3 of them had their eyes open today:D I had to help two of them though...but the smallest black and the REW just didn't want to open theirs:roll:
The first baby I helped looked really exited to see, when I took it back to the nest it bounced right back out:lol: "I can see now, DON'T PUT ME BACK INTO THE DARKNESS! :shock:" :lol:
The fat sable was the only one who had his eyes open already. That one is turning out great:D

I know nothing about baby rabbits, so I have to ask why you have to help open their eyes. Doesn't nature do it when it's ready?

I know nothing about baby rabbits, so I have to ask why you have to help open their eyes. Doesn't nature do it when it's ready?

Yes normally. But they should have opened them by now...if they wait too long they might go blind:cry: That's why I tried to gently clean their eyelids since they're kind of sticky.
Its only the white one that hasn't opened them yet by now.

Back