• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lapizole vs Panacur

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Bobbin is due for a course of treatment (I feel quite embarrassed actually that he has not had one before now :oops: but it was only recently that I learned that as many as 50% of rabbits actually have EC :shock: )

I want to know your opinions on Lapizole and Panacur, what you use, what goes down better, and how long it should be given for. I've actually ordered a bottle of Lapizole already but I'm interested to know your opinions. Do either have side effects?

I've seen conflicting time scales on other threads, some say 28 days, some say 6 weeks (42 days) :?

One of my rabbits died of EC so I had to treat my other 4 all with Panacur for 28 days, course ended 3 weeks ago and so far all seem ok, therefore I would recommend Panacur

i got the panacur paste and Carlton loved it mashed into banana, it was £7.50 from the vets though it's about half that on the internet.

it's a 9 day course unless bun actually has EC then is 28 days or 6 weeks or something, i find it all quite confusing!

Thanks guys.

I understood that you can administer it for 28 days also as a preventative measure, can anyone confirm? And is there anyone that has experience with both brands?

It's 6 weeks for active cases of EC - 4 weeks isn't long enough.

I've only ever used Panacur, but I looked into it once, and Lapizole is exactly the same dose of the active ingredient (that I can't spell!) as Panacur Rabbit.

Thanks guys.

I understood that you can administer it for 28 days also as a preventative measure, can anyone confirm? And is there anyone that has experience with both brands?

I've done all mine with a 28 day course on Panacur, it was working out too expensive for the tubes so bought a bottle, great value.

As I vaguely understand it 4-6 weeks seems to be the reccommended time when a case is proven, but I 'personally' feel that the 9 day course is pointless unless you've already had a longer course before (opinions seem to differ greatly amongst everyone including vets).... i intend to do mine for 9 days next time, I think!!! :?

Last edited:
I've done all mine with a 28 day course on Panacur, it was working out too expensive for the tubes so bought a bottle, great value.

As I vaguely understand it 4-6 weeks seems to be the reccommended time when a case is proven, but I 'personally' feel that the 9 day course is pointless unless you've already had a longer course before (opinions seem to differ greatly amongst everyone including vets).... i intend to do mine for 9 days next time, I think!!! :?

Hiya, thank you!

So you would recommend a 28 day course for a bun that's not had a course before and 9 days for subsequent top-up courses?

There was a huge and long thread a few weeks ago about how long the treatment should last . . . perhaps someone could direct you to it?? (I don't know how to do this.

But just to add that my lot will drink the Lapizole with no problems aat all as t is aniseed flavour - Panacur I have to catch and force down - so I always use the Lapizole.

Hiya, thank you!

So you would recommend a 28 day course for a bun that's not had a course before and 9 days for subsequent top-up courses?

As mine havent been proven to have EC and none of them are showing any signs I'm assuming 4 weeks is enough.... to be totally honest though, I had intended on a 6 week course, then Bob had that blockage which nearly killed him so he missed the last 2 weeks, then Valerie's abcess burst and she had her spay op brought forward so she missed the last 2 weeks, and Comet had already had a months course before 6 weeks was mentioned.

If I were you and you only have the one bun to do, I'd do him for 6 weeks, its very difficult to overdose on and whats an extra couple of weeks if you already plan on 4? I would think follow up 9 days courses would be fine then.

All mine took the Panacur syringe and liquid fine, straight into the mouth, no problem, its only a small amount and fairly easy to give.

Its such a confusing subject and no 2 opinions seem to be the same.

I've just completed a 9 day course with my two.. I must say, I don't think I could bear doing it for 28 days unless it was as treatment.. getting the Panacur into them at all was a nightmare in itself!!

I could be wrong but I understand that the Lapizole is the more expensive of the two but it is a one off treatment of 28days rather than having the repetative treatment of 9days with the panacur each year?

I could be wrong but I understand that the Lapizole is the more expensive of the two but it is a one off treatment of 28days rather than having the repetative treatment of 9days with the panacur each year?

This is what I understood too, but do they mean a one off treatment ever, or one off per year?

I'm sure the manufacturers say different things, but the 2 products are the same (in the sense of their active ingredient and its amount).

Thank you Sooz, that one did not come up in my search, but I was looking for Lapizole :rolleyes:

Can I just confirm then that in your opinion is it ok to administer a 28 day course on a rabbit that has not been diagnosed with EC but has not had a course before either?

Basically is there any harm in giving a 28 day course of Lapizole to what we assume is a non infected bun just to be on the safe side?

Basically is there any harm in giving a 28 day course of Lapizole to what we assume is a non infected bun just to be on the safe side?

As a one off, IMO, no. However when speaking to the manufacturers they have said that the 28 days is pretty much a defunct course now and should be 6 weeks. I have 4 of mine on this now.

If you are going to worm annually then I would only use a 9 day course.....it may be possible to damage natural antibodies otherwise and even help make the spores resistant.

Bobbin should be wormed before his next bonding as well....depending on how far away that is.

Back