• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Hi
Just trying to work out if insurance is worth it. I had mine all insured but since one had EC, I am now not covered for that and the premium has gone up - money grabbing .........!!

Just wondered how many people have insurance and how many don't? Might help me make my mind up whether to renew or not.

Thanks

I have 3 insured for £17.91 a month and the 3rd one insured for £6.90 a month, not sure how that works out think its because they get cheaper the more you have of the same species.

Jake won't be covered if he has problems with his funny leg tho, but if he breaks it again it will be covered its all very odd.

I'm just rubbish at saving so its easier for me to know that they are insured rather than me having to find lots of money at once.

Helen x

im about to find out if petplan pay up for stasis have sent my forms to be filled in by the vets.. i do hope its worth it :shock:

I've never done it. The £20 per animal is way too expenisve for me (8 bunnies here) plus I have a rabbit kitty which I add to each month so if the time comes, i have something put by.

I posted a thread about this recently and I was advised to put a bit of money away each month per bunny. I think that's a far more effective way when you have a few bunnies?

I think I pay about £8.00 per month per rabbit (I've got 2) mine is with Petplan as they were the only insurance I could find that cover rabbits.

I have been using them for quite a few years now and well and truly got my moneys worth from them. Had one bun with breast cancer that they paid out hundreds of pounds for. My Benjy who I sadly had to have PTS in Jan this year had been poorly on and off for about 2 years with Kidney stones and a jaw infection they also paid out what must have amounted to over £1000 in that time including over £500 for a week in intensive care.

So for me with only 2 buns to pay the insurance for I would certainly recommend it. Although once the bunny gets to the age of 7 the excess goes up to about £75 and you have to pay he first 20% of each claim as well, but if they have an ongoing claim it still works out to your advantage.

Am glad this thread has appeared.

I am paying £24 a month for three bunnies with Petplan but now we have BJ I am just wondering whether it is worth insuring BJ too or cancelling them all. Petplan give a measly discount on multiple bunnies :(:(

£34ish pounds a month is £400 a year so is this more or less than what vet's bills might cost over a year :? There is also the £40 excess to consider as well.

I know the more bunnies there are the more chance there is of a high vets bill but I think I am leaning towards having a rainy day fund rather than insurance. Wish I knew what to do, :?

Vanessa xx

Hi Vanessa.B, I know exactly what you mean about the insurance. The excess obviously differs as well as mine is £50 each for my 2, I suppose the insurance companies have to make their money somehow!
Not sure if I could save the money myself though without dipping into it for other things :?

I have just taken out insurance this morning with petplan for both molly and jessica for £18.40 a month with 2 months free.

I didn't know whether to insure molly or not because he abscess wouldn't be covered but I just spoke to them and they said if he's asbcess clear for 3 months they will review the policy and get a vet report and if the report states that molly's abscess was caused by pasturella and not his teeth, they will cover him for it, which is brilliant because iv paid £1,500 in a year for his abscess! So i'm really pleased :D

Back