• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How serious is sneezing?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Sorrel has been sneezing a lot today but has no other symptoms and is still lively, is it vet time or shall I wait and see how she progresses?

Am happy to take her but don't want to if its not necessary cos it stresses her out. thankyou

my bunny sneezes too and then he stops. i think he gets some dust of fluff from his fur. the vet says if the nose is not runny don't worry.

brushing him and dusting a bit where he goes might help a bit.

Have you changed hay supply or something lately - perhaps you have bought a dusty one. It is also moulting time, so perhaps he is getting fur up his nose!

My buns sneeze if it's dusty (like when I opened a bag of P@H hay, we were all sneezing!) and also Nuggette sneezes after drinking if she's drunk too much too quickly as it goes up her nose. Funny bunny.:lol:

Skid used to sneeze a lot from the day we brought him home, it turned out he had chronic pasteurella. Poor mite, my lesson learnt about pet shop buns.:(

Personally I'd wait, keep an eye on her, if she develops any other symptoms then maybe think about the vet, but there's no point stressing her out if she's just got a bit of dust up her nose.

Does she have a nasal discharge? Check the insides of her front paws. If the fur is sticky it is indicative of her wiping mucus from her nose.
The occassional sneeze is not usually a problem and is often down to dust from hay etc. But if the sneezing is ongoing, there is a nasal or occular discharge or if Bun's breathing looks to be laboured then a Vet trip is definately needed.
'Dry' sneezes that keep occuring do need investigating as a Bun with a lower respiratory tract infection may sneeze a lot but produce no mucus. The problem only becomes apparent when you listen to the lungs with a stethescope.

Janex :)

thanks everyone

I'm using the same bag of hay as I have been all this week and she's not moulting and has no discharge - the thing that worried me was that she's not sneezed once since i got her nearly a year ago but was sneezing continuously all day. :/ I have just reduced her baytril though and wondered if it could be linked to that?

anyway I will keep a close eye on her - am having my other rabbit vacc'd tomorrow anyway so I might ask the vet about it then. :)

My friends rabbit was sneezing and she was given baytril by her vet. She asked me to go round and show her how to give the baytril properly.
I could see a tiny bit of green in the rabbits nostril and pulled out a 3 inch piece of hay :? no more sneezing and no need for baytril - deff worth a look

My friends rabbit was sneezing and she was given baytril by her vet. She asked me to go round and show her how to give the baytril properly.
I could see a tiny bit of green in the rabbits nostril and pulled out a 3 inch piece of hay :? no more sneezing and no need for baytril - deff worth a look

:shock::shock:

i know its not really funny but that did make me laugh :oops: will go and investigate her!

Back