• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbit

Justine

Mama Doe
My O/H was offered a baby wild rabbit yesterday from a vet who had two handed in that needed hand rearing. I'm not sure how old they are now though, or how long they have had them or what sex they are.

I was wondering if it would be possible to bond a wild rabbit with 2 domestic rabbits after it was neutered.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.:)

someone on here (i forget their username :oops:) has a wild bunny bonded with tehir domestic bunny, and they have another wild baby being bonded in now :D

Our first rabbit , Benji, was a wild rabbit and he was bonded with 2 dwarf lop girls after he was neutred. He lived until he was 9 years old.

I would think they are generally better escape artists and I found Benji a very alert, intelligent rabbit. He was quite skittish ,as was Merry another one I had recently, but I didn't overhandle either of them when they first came because I had been considering releasing them, but decided against it later on. I would think they can become very tame but will alway be a bit less relaxed than domestic buns.
Good luck and enjoy, we found the Benji really knew how to keep his girls in order and in the spring, when he was feeling playful he would chase them around the run, he was like a little whirlwind.

I've heard both extremes of the temperament. Scamp (my wild rabbit) is extremely friendly - same as a domestic. But that's not true of all wild buns. They do need a lot of space though, couldn't keep um in a hutch.

Tam

I have a playhouse which has a shelf with a ramp up to it. My buns have the whole garden in the daytime when I'm home which is practically all of the time.

You'd need to be very very careful with garden access. I can't let Scamp anywhere near outside because he just takes off exploring. He can fit through tiny gaps (walks straight through a stairgate). About 2" is all he needs to ooze through even now he's full size.

See this Hole:
IMG_0404b.jpg

This is Scamp going through it:
IMG_0408b.jpg

He'll also chew/dig manically to get where he wants - we had to block off the cat flap cos he chewed through the lock, a wood cover, plastic cover, and a mesh grill. He's got out twice and he just bounds down the road happy as larry with no concern for anything that might want to get him.

You'd probably need to mesh line the playhouse as the chewing speed is amazing!

He wouldn't need the ramp, they can jump to and climb. Floor to kitchen work surface is no problem for Scamp, he will also scrabble climb/balance to get high.

Like Halfpenny says they are extremely intelligent!

He was neutered about 4 weeks ago. His testicles didn't drop until he was about 8/9 months old - I don't know if that's a wild rabbit trait.

I think he has calmed down slightly. A few weeks pre-neutering he was at his worst. I had to follow him around any time he was out as he would just go from place to place chewing/digging. He's back to his behaviour from a few months ago which is much better.

He does go through phases though so he might just be plotting his next exploit.

Tamsin

:wave:Both my old wild rabbit, Wobbles, and Nettle were/ are fine being picked up and even like being kissed 400 times a day!:D :love: Nettle is playful and jumps on me and digs and chews my jumper and likes playing with toys and throwing them about/ boxing them. Nettle is more jumpy that Barney but then Barney is an extremely laid back rabbit but i do think wild ones have a bit more of the prey instinct. Nettle loves climbing up book cases, sofas, shelves, windows etc more like a monkey than a rabbit and also chews a lot. Saying that Wobbles only even chewed 1 wire in 6 months and he was free range round the house when i was at work all day so i guess it depends on the rabbit personality. They use litter trays like domestic rabbits and Barney and Nettle really get on and love each other - Barney went to the vets with Nettle when he was neutered and the vet nurses told me Nettle spent the whole day with his head under Barney's tummy with just his body sticking out. They are always cuddled up to one another and cleaning each other and stuff. There is quite a big size difference and it doesn't seem to matter. Barney was even lying asleep on top of Nettle across him the other night as they were sprawled out on the floor and Nettle just lay there happily being squished!:lol: Have got another wild baby bunny called Foxglove at the moment which was rescued from being attacked by crows and am introducing him/her to my 2 at the moment.:rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2:

Scamp has a stair gate (covered in mesh) blocking him in the kitchen. In there he has a sleeping box, his litter tray and loads of toys.

:wave:That's me! I have got a 8 month ish wild rabbit bonded with a 2 year ish old rex and they get on like a house on fire!:love:

glad to see u back rachel! havent seen u on here 4 awhile... but i do think i need to make u another siggie!! its april!:lol:

Back