• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Access to run question

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Can you leave your bunnies access to their run during the day if you are not there or is it best to keep their access closed while your at work etc - I have decided on the sykes combo from Happy Hutch and it will be kept on the patio as my grass doesn't have v good drainage and is often soggy so they won't be able to dig out. Do I have to worry about predetors etc if its going to be on the patio?

Thanks once again you will all be sick of me by the time I get my rabbits! :lol:

in cold weather they have access to garden during times while i am in and when i am out and between going dark and 10pm are in run attatched to hutch(obv it has a lid too),,,, and in warmer weather are allowed out in garden during times i am in and then in run when out and in run&hutch at night. it is more for the cold that i do that than due t predators, the run/hutch is secure so nothing can get in and it gives them more space.

I have a happy hutch and run combo which is on concrete, I let them have access to the run if I go out,but I was locking my two away at night because I was worried about predators, but I decided yesterday that I was going to give them 24hr access to the run,
Some nights I had trouble getting them in the hutch anyway, and they definatly prefer to be allowed in their run all the time, so I took the plunge last night and will leave them with the option , my hutch cover does come right over the run, so gives lots of protection.
I must admit though I had to sleep with my window open last night though to listen out.

Mine are out day and night in their attached run on concrete. It's as secure as the hutch, and I use clamps on the lid. If any foxes come sniffing the buns soon run up to the hutch and 'hide' there. I have shutters on the front of the hutch at night and cover the run with perspex sheets so they 'feel' safer from foxes, cats, etc and to keep the rain off. Claire

as long as the run is secure from predators, its ok for them to be out in it. make sure the wooden frames are sturdy and not coming apart at the corners. make sure the mesh is properly fastened on all the way round, and that the lid has bolts or padlocks or seom other fastening that requires opposable thumbs to open.

My bunnies are out for 9 hours a day. I don't allow them permanent access because after an accident, I don't allow them to have double storey. They go out at 8am and come back in at 5pm. Also, if I didn't have to pick them up to move them from run to hutch and visa versa, I don't think the rabbits would be so tame.

I wouldn't guarantee soggy grass as a barrier to digging out or a barrier to digging in. I think rabbits should have 24/7 or at least 12/7 access to a run but it does need to be totally secure.

Tamsin

I wouldn't guarantee soggy grass as a barrier to digging out or a barrier to digging in. I think rabbits should have 24/7 or at least 12/7 access to a run but it does need to be totally secure.

Tamsin

Sorry I meant they will be on the patio because of the soggy grass and so won't be able to dig out - I didn't use very good punctuation!

Back