• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hocks - Flooring

cheryl21

Warren Scout
Stella has got sore kocks - I did have some bits of carpet in the outhouse but the vet said this could be making her feet worse.

I currently have a rubben matting on the floor.

What is the best type of flooring for her. Her and Bud live in our outhouse, their hutch is in there with paper, hay and straw. what about for the floor of the outhouse as they have access at all times?

I am bathing her feet in saltwater, as advised by the vet. Does anyone know of anything else I could do for her??

carpet can be very abrasive on their feet. did the vet not give you any cream? poppy has sore hocks but the vet gave me some dermisol cream which keeps them at a stable level.

My vet told me not to put anything on them as they need to harden up? Is this correct? Minstrel's are white and ever so slightly ulcerated whereas Piper's are pink. Going to vets tomorrow so will ask her again about them. She said to keep an eye on them tho and take them back if they get any worse.

Helen x

My vet has suggested using cream - I have been using Sudocrem and he was fine with that.

My bunny Sally was overweight and had sore hocks but they have certainly been made worse by her coming indoors. I shall be making her more comfortable outside again (when she comes home from her bonding session at Aunty Janices at ARC).

For my rexy buns, who suffer too, I have been covering the whole floor of their very large run (on paving) with hay and this seems to have helped the hocks to repair very nicely without any other intervention.

It's just so important not to let them get infected.

dora and snowy started to get the begginings of sore hocks when their run was on the decking, i covered it with straw and this seemed to stop the problem their feet are fluffy again, mind you their run is now on grass lol so that helps too!

My vet advised sudocrem too but make sure they are clean before putting it on as he said it was more of a barrier.

The other thing to check out is the toilet, that she does not sit in it as it could be urine scald. I now put in mine - newspaper, then megazorb and then hay on top. I also clean it out twice a day.

Hope she gets better soon.

the vet just said to use salt water. she doesnt sit in her litter tray and I clean it out every day.

Do you think I hould be using some cream? One side is white and looks like the fur has 'scabbed' together, the other one is pink.

I am presuming hocks are the same as elbows on dogs (the part that rests most) we use vet beds for our dogs i have never had a problem and have recently cut a few patches out for the rabbit for his den they are very easily washable.. I'm just not keen on shavings nor paper as both have been used with myself and friends with dogs and vet bed seems the best option.. i have about 11 vet beds each 6ft by 4ft i just whack them in the washer easy peasy..

I tried all sorts of different things, creams, boots, rubber matting, shutting them in on vet bd at night and nothing worked, they just got fed up. So I left them for a week on their regular flooring and their feet just seemed to harden up and although they still have bald patches and the skin is a bit pink it is no longer cracked or broken or sore :)

I tried all sorts of different things, creams, boots, rubber matting, shutting them in on vet bd at night and nothing worked, they just got fed up. So I left them for a week on their regular flooring and their feet just seemed to harden up and although they still have bald patches and the skin is a bit pink it is no longer cracked or broken or sore :)

her skin isn't broken either and it doesnt seem to bother her. I have removed the carpet and just everything else as it was. She gets grumpy if I change things!!

hello all :wave:

was having cuddle time with fudge tonight and noticed he has a little red patch on his back paw that looked a little like a blister but its firm to touch...is this a sore hock?

sorry if I sound thick but still new to this bunny mummy bit and not able to access my books for advice as down at parentals with him.

he does have a tendency to 'contemplate life' in his litter tray (newspaper and the anti clumping wood pellet litter stuff) so not sure if this could be urine scold....:cry:

its all very confusing and the earliest we can get to our lovely vet is a week today....

any suggestions greatfully received

Back