• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has use this nail trimmer called Peticure--U/D: Dremel works too

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
http://www.peticure.com/index.html

I view the video, what I don't understand is, the substance inside the nail (the quick) if you were to trim it w/ this peticure, how do you know you won't sand it down too much?

Meaning, what's the difference? I want a unit that I won't accidentally cut the nail too short, that's my primary concern. I don't see how can this peticure make any difference vs. a nail clipper.

Last edited:
I think there are 2 things, 1 is that as there isn't the impact of any blades it doesn't feel as horrid to the animal so they are more likely to sit still - I know with Deej you have to hold his nails really firmly as any sensation/vibration from clipping his nails really upsets him.

Also as it is grinding/sanding away the nails it is easier to do a little and check that you are still well away from the quick, and then you can do a little more if you need to.

You can use normal nail files (and buy pet ones), but they do take a bit of time and so pets can get agitated (my OH hates nail files because of how they vibrate through your fingers - it really sets him off, I imagine it's the same for some animals too)!

Personally I wouldn't - I can kind of see the advantage of it but with the clippers it is quick and simple and over in less than a minute; with the sanding I imagine it would take a while and my rabbits would get fed up with all that. The trick to not cutting the quick is to not cut too much off. With bunnies with white nails it is easy to see with those with black nails just cut off a little less. :)

I have some nervousness when it comes to cutting nails because they are always fidgeting. So I don't cut it unless it's necessary. 2 days ago, I notice one of my bun's nail was too long, and as she run, she must have bend the dight connecting at the root of her dight, as such, there is a hair line crack (about 3 hair line thick), so now comes the headache of ABX, bandage etc.

Because of this reason, I have no choice but to order the above, as they said one of the advantage is that it can gently sand a bit at a time so if I see the initial formation of the quick's hole, I know it's time to stop

MY bunnies' nails are getting too long and the above still hasn't arrive. But my vet told me that they use dremel to sand down nails, in which the above unit is a dremel at low speed w/ a cap that protects the rotation part from harming the bun.

So today, I use the dremel rotary unit to sand down all my bunnies' nails. It works like magic. I'll tell you once you use the above or the dremel, you won't go back to nail clipper.

The big difference is, nail clipper cannot cut the thickness of a "hair", whereas dremel or peticure can cut the nail so fine, that it removes one very thin layer at a time on the bun's nail. It's unbelievable useful.

The above commerical said their unit can cut the nail a lot shorter than nail clipper. I don't believe it until today when I use the dremmel. Now I realize how long their nails use to be. What a huge difference. I can now throw away the nail clipper.

The thing is, when you sand a thin layer at a time, if it's near the quick, the bun will move away their toes, and you'll know you are near that area. So it's time to move to another toe.

But w/ the nail clipper, you can't have such fine adjustment, so you can over cut and cut into the quick. I never know the convenience until my vet's hospital uses just the dremel.

For those who owns a rescue, definitely get one. The peticure is cheaper and a bit safer than the dremel. However, if you own a dremel, you can buy just a plastic cover (also from the peticure web site) to convert your dremel into a peticure tool.

Although the peticure tool is very quiet. (3.3V for the small animal version)

My dremel can be noisy, but I set it at 5k rpm, so it's reasonably quiet.

P.S. I want to add the fact that w/ a nail clipper, I have the fear of over cutting, so if there is some nail left to cut, I can't do it w/ the nail clipper. I have to wait next mth. till the nails grow longer.

W/ dremel, even if it sticks out a bit, I can still trim it by touching the nail for 1/2 second, or sand down one part of the nail but not the other parts. This is something a nail clipper simply can't do. I wish I knew about the usage of dremel 10 yr. ago.

The good news, from now on, none of my bunnies will ever snap their nails

Back