• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for my little pudding Frankie please - U/D Back from Vets

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Some of you might remember that I posted a while back about seeing uneaten squashy poos in Frankie and Jen's hutch in the morning. Well, after improving for a short while I've started seeing them again, always first thing in the morning, and having watched them carefully I'm pretty sure that it's Frankie who is leaving them :( Either way I'm going to ring the vet this morning to book both buns in to get checked over and see if we can figure out what's going wrong... I'm really worried about it with the summer (and flies!) appearing soon.

In the meantime, do you think it's OK to keep both buns on just hay and water, just until we can get to the vet? I cut out the pellets completely on Saturday and so far it's helped a lot. Thanks :)

Is Frankie clean apart from leaving some caetrophs (can never spell it).

Homey had a "dirty bum" problem last year where I had to clean him twice a day and he was leaving the caetrophs. I changed pellets to Bunny Basics T and he has been fine since. One of my problems though was he refuses hay no matter what I do. Obviously hay is the best diet for them.

As a precaution you need to check the buns at least twice a day during the summer months and if you do not put Rearguard on, then make sure you have some in your first aid kit in case you find any fly eggs.

I also put mosquito netting all round their run etc. and clean their litter tray at least twice a day.

I hope he is OK.

Hope your wee buns are alright.Might need to change diet but see what vet says.Could be he just isn't eating what he's supposed to.You can also trim though not too near, the bottom area if the fur is really long,for the summer months.I used a pet strimmer/cutter thing (can't remember what you call them!)you know with the safety guards on just to thin out the fur a bit for the summer months.When one of my wee rabbits got older and couldn't clean herself the same the vet suggested i do this which i did and it helped her too as i didn't have to bathe her backside as often.Vibes...

Thanks everyone. Actually Frankie's bum is fine and it's always clean, it's just that he seems to be passing a couple of soft poos but then not eating all of them :? Both buns eat a load of hay, they're really good like that.

The really weird thing is that I have seen Frankie clean his bum so he's obviously not struggling to move round to get to it or anything, so the whole thing is complete mystery. I just hope that the vet can suggest something that might help!

Thanks Snowy :)

I've spoken to the vets and the earliest they can book Frankie in to see Tim (rather than one of the other vets) is Thursday :? Do you think both buns will be OK on just hay until then, or should I introduce the pellets back in? Thanks!

I wonder if maybe its his teeth? I'd be surprised but stranger things have happened.

Give him some nosey rubs for me, Frankie helped start big things for me....My first ever RU foster bunny :love: :love:

Aww, Frankie sends you a fluffy grumpy face in return for your nose rub Sooz, I'm sure you know the one :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if its his teeth too :? I remember Karen saying that her Fudge has problems with his teeth, so maybe it's a genetic thing..?

What do you think about the hay question - can they stay on just hay until Thursday? :)

I was thinking teeth too..... I hope you get on OK at the vet on Thursday. Not sure about the hay only diet, someone else would be able to advise better.

Thanks bunny babe. Part of me would be amazed if Frankie's teeth are the problem as he's always been such a good hay eater, but karen345 has Frankie's brother Fudge and he does have teeth problems, so I suppose it's possible that there's some genetic tendancy for malocclusion there :( aww.. my poor wee little pudding. I hope he's going to be alright :(

Aww, Frankie sends you a fluffy grumpy face in return for your nose rub Sooz, I'm sure you know the one :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if its his teeth too :? I remember Karen saying that her Fudge has problems with his teeth, so maybe it's a genetic thing..?

What do you think about the hay question - can they stay on just hay until Thursday? :)

Oh yes....I know that look well.

Fudge only had to have one dental to my memory? He is a good hay eater so if it is his teeth I'd wager genetics over diet.

I have had people with bunnies on hay for over two weeks so they will be fine but you will probably need to double the quantity.

Thanks Sooz. I'm not sure what happened with Fudge's teeth in the end, I'll put something in the thread title to get Karen over to check though! :wave:

Both buns have eaten a phenomenal amount of hay since Saturday. Literally a full bag of Dust Free Hay between them... their poos are absolutely enormous :shock:

PS. Is Mackenzie nest building in your sig?? :lol:

Hi :wave:.. When Fudge was neutered over a year ago my vet phoned me to say his teeth weren't great :cry: he wanted to let me know before he neutered him as he would need on going treatment throughout his life.

Before Fudge and Frankie came to live with us they were fed on mix and no hay :shock: my vet told me with the right diet Fudge's teeth could improve or hopefully get no worse..
At the time my vet(savvy vet) didn't give Fudge a dental he didn't feel it was needed at that time..

I was told what to look out for with Fudge wet chin, not eating or dropping food . . Up to now Fudge has needed no dentals but we are prepared in the future for on going treatment.
Fudge eats lots of hay and grass in fact he doesn't stop eating. .

Thanks Karen :D (and sorry I got your numbers mixed up! :oops: ) I'll pass on the information to my vet... hopefully even if Frankie does need a dental it won't be anything major. He's not dropping food or dribbling or anything, just not eating his first soft poos of the day :(

Frankie eats loads as well, he's constantly munching :shock: The poor boys... Frankie loves his hay so much, I can't believe he and Fudge were only fed on mix before :(

Hi there,

I had problems with Barney last year and uneaten caecs - he was producing a huge amount paticularly during the day. After much angst and trial and error I worked out the pellets were the cause. Both excel dwarf/junior and SS caused problems, I guess they were too rich and I put this down to them being alfalfa based. Veg seemed to cause no probs at all. Once we started on Bunny Basics T we had no further excess caec problems.

If you suspect dietary issues then I would think hay only is the way to go and then re-introduce foods gradually and monitor the effect.

Good luck at the vets, am hoping there are no teeth problems,
Vanessa xx

Thanks Vanessa :D Both buns have been on SS for over a year now, but I guess it's still possible that Frankie's tum has become sensitive to it. I can believe it as he's quite prone to bloat too, both buns have very little veg as that seemed to be triggering it :(

Can you still buy the Bunny Basics pellets now? I might look into getting some A&P too, and trying that :?

Back