• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large breed rabbits..

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Are large breed rabbits allowed to be in upstairs - downstairs hutches or are they meant to just have single floored ones?

I read it was something to do with the ramp and the size of the bunny!

Anyone...

I think that large breed rabbits are unsuitable for hutches full stop. They need so much space. A friend of mine has a Frenchie and I was gobsmacked at his size when I first met him.... he needs so much space and can leap onto a bed that's 3 foot high without any effort at all. 2 hops and he's moved at least 4 feet :shock:

:wave: Would have to agree that hutches aren't really suitable for larger breeds. We have a giant conti who is free range in our house. However if she was to be an outdoor bunny i think a shed/playhouse with large (and tall) attached run would be the best option for the buns quality of life. You've got to have enough room for them to stretch up and they can be quite tall:D Lola can pretty much put her front paws on the top of a standard baby gate:roll:

I would also agree. I have a Flemish and A French Lop and they are both free range indoors. My Flemish girl completely fills an Atlas 40 carrier, they are deceptively large!
Outdoors I have a mini lop and a little straight eared heinz bun in a hutch, but they have an attached run so they are never shut in a restricted space. I wouldn't have a large bun in a hutch. :wave:

I have 2 Frenchmen and o/h had to build them a custome made hutch from an old wardrobe. They sleep in it overnight, but rest of the time they are free range. I did use a Great dane sized dog crate for them at one point - again, just to sleep overnight in. Outdoors buns are sometimes kept in sheds/playhouses or garages.

I think theres been a misunderstanding...

I didnt mean for them to be in a hutch.
I have a french lop who lives in a shed with access to a hutch,which is 6ft single level i was just wondering if they are allowed access to double level hutches?

Also i just bought a hutch/run, you may have seen the picture posted! And that has a run on the bottom then a ramp to the hutch which is above, i was just checking that my french lop would be okay in there....

:)

Think it depends on the bun and what they are used to, my Bungle is we think a conti, but after having a week think he may be a mix (conti/frenchie maybe), anyway my point is that when he was at the RSPCA he had a space with a run up to an enclosed area and managed very well. However he is not your typical big bun, he is extremely lively and has jumped on top of a 4ft dog crate and I found him peering in the kitchen window after jumping on my chest of drawers yesterday. If he's agile enough then I'm sure he will be fine :D

Thanks.
She is pretty steady away. Im going to make the ramp bigger so it will suit her needs, shes a big girl at only 9months lol.
As for in the shed i will leave her be with her single hutch!

Thankkkks!:wave:

mine have got a 5ft hutch inside a huge shed.i tried bluebell with a hutch with ramp attathed to a run underneith n she just flopped down rather than go down the ladder.x

Back