• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blitzen's deaf?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
I think he might be quite deaf, he sits in the corner of his shed with his back facing me and I go into his shed, then I call him and he ignore's me, I rattle his pellets and he ignores me, I stroke his back and he jumps up like he's surprised and then runs over to me :(

Last edited:
I always thought he was clumsy, he ran into his run mesh today :? and he usually walks into things, but I thought it's because he's big and clumsy

Misty does this quite often to me, its just her in ignorant mode...I leave her to it she soon snaps out of it lol

I had a deaf lop eared bun-one of the friendliest of chaps, but he would often 'jump' and scarper if he didn't see you coming.
It did not affect him any other way, and on bonfire night/week/month he was blissfully unaware of all the noise and didn't care a bit, unlike my now buns that hate fireworks.
I am sure yours would react to pellets if you rattled them, if he could hear them.
Try to make sure he knows you are on the way, before you touch him, perhaps even heavy footsteps might let him know, and prevent the scared jump!

when Maa had her eye removed it became obvious she was also very deaf - her hearing improved very slightly with her being half blind. Even so I always used to stamp my feet so she could feel the vibrations, and call her quite loud and high voiced, and go around the long way rather than just appear next to her when she couldn't see me - it didn't seem to bother her at all (in fact a bonus on bonfire night! :))

i think alvin is deaf, not spoke to the vet as i dont see the point it aint gonna change nothing.... or hes selective hearing :lol::lol::lol:

we bang the floor to get his attention or a light turning on has him running to see if theres food.... i only notice it now because pearl will come running from the other room to her name yet alvin never has and i always thought he didnt love me :cry::cry:

if he dont come running first time i usually have to walk back into a room and get his attention that way :roll:

i was talking to them this morning as i walked into the room and he carried on grooming as i walked by he really jumped oops :lol::lol:

Back