• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinate or not?

xShellx

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,

I have 2 rabbits Marble a 10 month old Giant Papilon and Poppy a 2 month old Flimish Giant.

Marble was vacinated against mixi in September last year.

Should I get him done again with poppy? How long after castration should I wait? Hes booked in for next week?

I was told when last had him done that they need vaccinating beginng of summer each year for mixi.

Also is VHD very common? Do they really need this?

ThaNKS

i reckon if you can prevent something, then you should.

for example meningitis for humans isn't common, but people can get it and it kills people so prevention is better.

plus i heard vhd is a horrible disease which kills quickly.....

and myxi needs to be done either every year or twice a year, cant remember

Hi guys,

I have 2 rabbits Marble a 10 month old Giant Papilon and Poppy a 2 month old Flimish Giant.

Marble was vacinated against mixi in September last year.

Should I get him done again with poppy? How long after castration should I wait? Hes booked in for next week?

I was told when last had him done that they need vaccinating beginng of summer each year for mixi.

Also is VHD very common? Do they really need this?

ThaNKS

Hello :)

The Myxomatosis Vaccine only gives protection for 6 months so most Vets now recommend it is done twice a year.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Last year was particularly bad for Myxo due to the warm wet summer.

My Vet will give the Myxo Vacc 7 days after a neuter.

Here is some info on VHD, I would advise you to get both your Buns vaccinated against this

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

Janex

all depends on the area you live in. were i am they have to be done every 6 months as mixie is very high and always outbreaks. they also have vhd but thats only once a year. they just had their mixie all 28 had theirs done on friday:shock: pay the bill tomorrow!!!!!!

all depends on the area you live in. were i am they have to be done every 6 months as mixie is very high and always outbreaks. they also have vhd but thats only once a year. they just had their mixie all 28 had theirs done on friday:shock: pay the bill tomorrow!!!!!!
I see your in Suffolk, Is this a high Mixi area? Im in Norwich, Thanks

28!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......wow

Back