• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

more new bunny questions......

leoandoliver

Young Bun
What is the best litter to use? I read that anything with clay is bad for them. I started them on the potty training pearls but they are super costly and with two buns I have to clean the litter box twice a day because it get saturated. I read that one called Swheat litter was best. It is organic and made from wheat but they seem to want to eat it. Is this okay? How do you keep the hay they eat from getting all over the floor of my house? They have a hay basket and I scatter some on the floor of thier cage because they are so young and I do not want to encourage fighting, but it always ends up all over the carpet around thier cage.

I also wonder if it is okay to keep them in a large bathroom? They currently use our master bath as thier playroom. It is about 15x7 ft with a tile floor and some carpet. I would love to put thier permanant cage in there so that they can come out of it on thier own to play, but I am worried about the steam from the shower. Thier cage is in our bedroom but we are working on building a bigger one. The downstairs of our house if off limits due to a large breed dog ( that is his space...) the kids each already have a guinea pig and bird in thier rooms. any suggestions???

I use Friendly Natural Cat Litter but I am about to change to Beauticat Wood Pellet Litter. Many people recommend cat litter, as long as it's straw based or wood based. My bunnies eat/nibble the straw litter and I think it's fine, as it's just straw after all.

I use wood pellets.
There are great, make it real easy to keep clean as i like you have to clean out twice a day!!

:)

What is the best litter to use? I read that anything with clay is bad for them. I started them on the potty training pearls but they are super costly and with two buns I have to clean the litter box twice a day because it get saturated. I read that one called Swheat litter was best. It is organic and made from wheat but they seem to want to eat it. Is this okay? How do you keep the hay they eat from getting all over the floor of my house? They have a hay basket and I scatter some on the floor of thier cage because they are so young and I do not want to encourage fighting, but it always ends up all over the carpet around thier cage.

I also wonder if it is okay to keep them in a large bathroom? They currently use our master bath as thier playroom. It is about 15x7 ft with a tile floor and some carpet. I would love to put thier permanant cage in there so that they can come out of it on thier own to play, but I am worried about the steam from the shower. Thier cage is in our bedroom but we are working on building a bigger one. The downstairs of our house if off limits due to a large breed dog ( that is his space...) the kids each already have a guinea pig and bird in thier rooms. any suggestions???

I dont really know about the bathroom as all my bunnies are outdoors!
Im sure someone will help!!

"The downstairs of our house if off limits due to a large breed dog ( that is his space...)"

That really made me laugh!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
HIS SPACE!!!:lol:

HI:wave: When my outdoor bunnies have had to be brought indoors because of illness during the winter I usually put them there..all the surfaces are wipe-clean and if your rabbits are litter trained the bathroom is ideal. Just remember to keep the toilet lid down!!:lol::lol:

:wave: Thanks! yes the downstairs is his space.......the guinea pigs have thiers and now I need to make the rabbits thier own. I guess I was worried about the humidity from the shower in the bathroom but it would be the same if it rained and they were kept outside. I think the clean up would be easy too.
If they stay in the same cage do they need separate nest houses, litter boxes etc? I already put two food dishes on separate sides of thier current cage so they can both eat at the same time.

Back