• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust or not??

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Hii again! I think im addicted!

Anyways in all my hutches i use a sawdust/straw mix from a horse/farm shop which i buy in bales!

I have noticed from looking at pictures, that not everyone uses sawdust, some hutches just have the plain wood flooring (if you get me) do you have to use sawdust??

If you dont use sawdust what should you use?

Thankkkss! :D

Sawdust in hutches should be avoided at all costs. It contains phenols which can lead to liver damage. I think it's something to do with the result of a chemical reaction between the urine and the sawdust which exacerbates the problem.

See now im really confused as nearly everyone i know who has rabbits uses sawdust or shavings!!!!:shock:

If you dont use sawdust what should you use?

I just put paper down on the floor. And put litter/hay/straw in litter trays and in their bedroom. You can also put vetbed on the floor of the hutch if your bunnies are very clean.

Some people on here don't cover the entire floor area with bedding, but cover the floor of the hutch with wipe clean tiles and provide a litter tray with bedding for the buns. I use megazorb which costs an average of £5.00 for an 80 ltr sack(or is it 75? Either way it's enormous and lasts ages!), and have a piece of vetbed for them to sit on, and a bundle of hay for them to nibble at.

Where do you get "vet bed" from??

Is sawdust really that dangerous!?
Should i empty the hutches?!

When I got my bun at 6months I was told she was blind in one eye as she'd had an allergic reaction to sawdust when she was a baby. Since I've had her she's just had a litter tray and a big pile of hay (and her personally shredded newspaper!) to snuggle in. The eye problem completely cleared up in a week or so, and the vet says she isn't blind after all.

Im not right sure what i should do. All mine seem happy,they dont have loadsa sawdust and most of them just push it to the sides of their hutches and sit on the bare wood anyway.

ive always used shavings with mine without any problems.i get them from a local horse shop and the flakes are pretty big and crispy.x

Sawdust in hutches should be avoided at all costs. It contains phenols which can lead to liver damage. I think it's something to do with the result of a chemical reaction between the urine and the sawdust which exacerbates the problem.

Totally agree. I would never use sawdust or shavings. The chemical combo of the urine on wood releases the phenols which can cause skin complaints (burns) and irritations, drying. Plus as mentioned already, can do the same to the respiratory tract.

Also the particles cause respiratory problems. We lost a bunny we rescued from Freecycle under anaesthetic and when the necropsy was performed his lungs were found to be full of sawdust.

They aren't absorbent like purpose made litter either, plus they smell much more quickly.

I would recommend Carefresh, Megazorb, or similar. Best avoid cat litter if there is a risk of it being eaten and don't use fullers earth or clumping cat litters.

If in doubt I'd just use newspaper and hay. I wouldn't however recommend shredded newspaper (strips) because they can cause cuts and get wrapped around bunny legs.

:D

Last edited:
I use shavings in their litter trays only covered with a thick layer of hay. The rest of the hutch is lino which is easy to wipe clean and some vetbed. I also use shreaded paper from my office. I've never had any probs. I'd like to try megazorb but no-where by me sells it and I'm at work all week so can't get it delivered from online. Carefresh smells horrible and is really expensive.

i used to use shavings all the time but since my buns are 90% litter trained i just just blackets and vet bed the hutches look so much warmer now but i do use a thin layer of shavings in their littertray with hay

Red neck...

Okay so after posting this and spending the whole afternoon out with the bunnies etc. I notice my fairly new rabbit of about 2months+ has got a red looking patch under his neck. He always rubs his neck on water bottle, toys, hay rack etc, so do most of them come to think of it but none of my others are red. I tried my best to get a good look, it isnt scabby, it isnt bleeding, the fur is still there, its just red...

any ideas....could it be the bedding? although where i got him from had him on sawdust but minus the straw...

:)

There is a vast difference between sawdust and woodflakes/shavings although even the later is not good, because no matter how big the flakes there's bound to be excess wood dust that could damage the sensitive respiratory tract of bunnies.

Like others have suggested vetbed, paper under hay, shredded paper and megazorb are great alternatives. Megazorb is also fantastic for litter trays as are wood pellets.

The only reason "most" people use woodshavings is because that's what petshops seem to stock the most of and it's extremely cheap, but like many things just because it says "rabbit" on it doesn't mean it's any good for them :roll:

I went through woodshavings, shredded paper and megazorb before I decided which was best - sometimes you just need to test everything available. I ended up with carpet tiles but mine is inside ;) with megazorb in the litters trays.

I hope you find your/ the bunnies' happy medium! ;)

There is a vast difference between sawdust and woodflakes/shavings although even the later is not good, because no matter how big the flakes there's bound to be excess wood dust that could damage the sensitive respiratory tract of bunnies.

Like others have suggested vetbed, paper under hay, shredded paper and megazorb are great alternatives. Megazorb is also fantastic for litter trays as are wood pellets.

The only reason "most" people use woodshavings is because that's what petshops seem to stock the most of and it's extremely cheap, but like many things just because it says "rabbit" on it doesn't mean it's any good for them :roll:

I went through woodshavings, shredded paper and megazorb before I decided which was best - sometimes you just need to test everything available. I ended up with carpet tiles but mine is inside ;) with megazorb in the litters trays.

I hope you find your/ the bunnies' happy medium! ;)

Thanks alot im going to try and get hold of some of "megazorb" any ideas where i should start?! Also how much is it?

Im not right sure what i should do. All mine seem happy,they dont have loadsa sawdust and most of them just push it to the sides of their hutches and sit on the bare wood anyway.

If they push the sawdust away, you might as well do what your buns are telling you to do, don't use it.

Shavings are not good for any small animals, they survive well without them and for some makes such a considerable difference to their lives if you avoid it.

Thanks alot im going to try and get hold of some of "megazorb" any ideas where i should start?! Also how much is it?

You can buy it through the internet, but the postage is almost as much as the megazorb, so it's best to do a Google search to find a supplier near you where you can pick it up yourself. I pay £5.50 for a large sack which fills an 80 ltr bin. Perhaps someone on the forum who lives in your area will be along sooon to suggest a nearby supplier.

Back