• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ryedale vs happyhutch

lisa82

Mama Doe
I know there is a ryedale thread along here but didn't want to hijack :D Would just like to know if anyone has a preference to either of these? I'd be looking for large 6ft hutch/run combo. Any good points/bad points. Thanks :D

I have this one coming from the happy hutch company, i was advised they are really well made hutches, good quality.

myhutch.jpg

Is that the 6ft one? That's the one I'm looking at, did you get it direct off of their website or ebay?

rydale are ready-made, happyhutch are self-assembly, so they are cheaper if you don't mind a bit of DIY - I also like the fact that happyhutch come ready treated, whereas you have somehow to treat a rydale hutch with wood preserver - at that price I'd expect it to be done for me :?

Ooh I didn't realise that! Thanks :D

just checked on the rydale website and they do give it a temporary basecoat, so it would be OK for a few weeks if you couldn't treat it straight away - and they will treat it for you for an extra £15 http://www.rehutches.com/care_of_hutches.htm

their basic hutches are plywood though - log lap costs more - whereas HH are tongue and groove, which I like, although the quality can be a bit iffy. They'll replace any faulty panels though - I had a couple of small faults on one HH hutch but couldn't be bothered waiting so I mended them myself.

But they're a lot cheaper! Really depends on your budget I guess :)

my dream hutch is a rydale one but there so expensive its impossible at the moment, but i have a happy hutch and run combo and think its great :) but the instructions you get for building the hutch are poo i ended up ignoring them and built it my way lol somehow i got the hutch bigger then the run :?:roll:

I have a happyhutch and a Rydale hutch, and I think my Ryedale hutch is so much better :)

Its just a better quality, its very well made and nice and strong :)

Ive the 6ft double hutch in log lap

DSC07997.jpg

DSC07998.jpg

I love it :) x

So do you think a ryedale would be more predator proof? although it looks to me they're £100 more expensive than HH, and then the ryedale version is 5ft not 6ft? Is the difference in quality worth that? :D

I have a happyhutch and a Rydale hutch, and I think my Ryedale hutch is so much better :)

Its just a better quality, its very well made and nice and strong :)

Ive the 6ft double hutch in log lap

DSC07997.jpg

DSC07998.jpg

I love it :) x

That looks cosy- do you keep it in a shed?

So do your buns who live in the double hutch have access to another run-if so how often do you put them in it?

Last edited:
I have had 2 6ftx2ftx2ft happy hutches and have been very pleased with them, good quality and at a very good price. Deliver was very quick.
They were very helpful too.
Good Luck.

yeah delivery's the other thing - accessability for something as big as a wardrobe is something you must consider with rydale, plus it's about 2 weeks for them to make it for you. HH have them in stock flat-packed, so it's just a couple of days usually on delivery.

I have a 6ft x 2 x 2 double Ryedale and agree the quality is fabulous :) More expensive than Happy Hutch but well worth it :)

id reccomend happy hutch my 2 have the 6ft hutch and run ( run same size as hutch underneath) I'm very pleased with it. IMO ryedale are too expensive plus id have to pay delivery whilst happy hutch was free :D

That looks cosy- do you keep it in a shed?

So do your buns who live in the double hutch have access to another run-if so how often do you put them in it?

Ryedale do 6ft hutches, thats what mine is :)

I have Buu in the bottom hutch and Beau in the top hutch. Its not in a shed, but if it rains I cover it with a waterproof sheet :)

Because I only have one large run they take turns each day. One day Buu plays in the run while im at work and Beau free ranges in the house. The next day Beau gets the run and Buu plays in the house :) They are only in their hutches while I am asleep at night.

I dont think you have to pay for delivery for either if you are on the mainland x

This is my Ryedale 6ft its 2ft wide each level and high. I have a run made by them 6 x 5 connected. I use the plastic sheets to keep the run dry and the huch has shutters.

bunnies020.jpg

bunnies014.jpg

yep its the 6ft, ive got it from ebay, its flatpacked so it doesnt get damaged in transit

Both my Happy Hutches got damaged during transport and the building instructions are really bad. It's much easier to build them without looking at the instructions. The quality is ok, although I had the roof blown off in a gale and the hinges at the back of the roof broke off. You always have to secure the roof with a padlock. Not sure why they have an opening roof on the hutch and run combo, anyway. The hutch is quite high up, so why would I want to lift the roof? The run is 2 ft high, but the current combos seem to have a lower run.

My Ryedale hutch is great quality, and delivery is included in the price. It is very heavy and we had to carry it through our house to get it into the back garden. The ramp is steeper and narrower than the Happy Hutch one. The wood is of better quality, and so are the metal parts. You get very strong bolts if you order them.

oh yes that reminds me again :lol: :oops: I love the opening roof on HH hutches - really useful as it means you can permanently staple a shower curtain over the hutch doors at the top, and use the roof for access to clean (if they are litter trained) :)

Ryedale will also make your hutch to order, if you want something different they will do it for you.

My piggie hutches were made with doors equal size with no interior partition which fits better in the shed than if they were different size.

Back