• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jab's advice

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Hi...

I'm going to chat to my Vet tomorrow when Lopsy goes for her check up about her aving her VHD and Myxi jabs!

I cant afford to get all my bunnies done yet, due to the recent Vet bills.

If i was to get Lopsy done does it matter that the other bunnies havent been done, if you understand me? Worse case - if my other buns got VHD or Myxi, but Lopsy had, had her jabs would this protect her or is their still the chance of her getting it??

Im useless at explaining myself.

:)

It would take two weeks for the jabs to be effective after administration so providing she was not exposed to an infected rabbit in that time she would theoretically be OK.

However in practice vaccinated rabbits can still get Myxo (and rarely VHD I believe) but the type of Myxomatosis they get is the less serious nodular variety which has a much greater survival rate.

Ok thanks!
I recently had her spayed, she is fully recovered now - thank godd!!!! :D:D
So would she be okay to have the jabs?

Also how does it work?

I am abit put of by the side effects and reactions i have read about! Having her spayed was hard enough watching her so down!!!

Usually the myxi is given first and 10% must be given intra dermally (between skin layers) with the remaining 90% being given under the skin. Some vets give the 10% into the base of the ear, the others into the scruff before pushing the needle in further to deliver the remaining 90%.

Do check your vet has given 10% intra-dermally as the vaccine will be far less effective if not.

The VHD must be given NOT LESS than 2 weeks after the Myxi.....they are not licensed to be given together and to do so puts unecessary strain on the immune system rendering the vaccines potentially useless and making it dangerous for the rabbit- as they become overloaded. Fatalities have been reported.

Preferably ask your vet for the Lapinject VHD vaccine.....there have been far less reported side effects with this than the Cylap VHD.

Usually the myxi is given first and 10% must be given intra dermally (between skin layers) with the remaining 90% being given under the skin. Some vets give the 10% into the base of the ear, the others into the scruff before pushing the needle in further to deliver the remaining 90%.

Do check your vet has given 10% intra-dermally as the vaccine will be far less effective if not.

The VHD must be given NOT LESS than 2 weeks after the Myxi.....they are not licensed to be given together and to do so puts unecessary strain on the immune system rendering the vaccines potentially useless and making it dangerous for the rabbit- as they become overloaded. Fatalities have been reported.

Preferably ask your vet for the Lapinject VHD vaccine.....there have been far less reported side effects with this than the Cylap VHD.

Firstly thanks for your information!
I think i wil print it out and take it with me to the Vets tomorrow!! Lol.

I just dont want her too suffer anymore, shes had a hard week bless her!

Back