• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD reactions

Vicky_19

New Kit
Our two rabbits, Sooty and Truffle had their VHD vaccinations yesterday morning. They were both fine afterwards - eating their veggies last night and running round quite happily.

This morning Sooty is not eating her pellets or anything else. She is lying down and every so often her head shakes/trembles. Behind her head she is quite wet as though she has been over grooming herself. I have phoned the emergency vet and they have suggested we try and tempt her to eat but they are fully booked so can't see her today. They mentioned that she may have a temperature and we will just need to let it run its course.

Is this a normal reaction to the injection? Has anyone has similar experiences?

We are so worried about her - she is normally the liveliest of the two - always first with her head in the food bowl!

Vicky

They really should see her ASAP!

One of my rabbits had a severe reaction to the jab and ended up having to have medication ASAP as she had stopped eating, had a very high temperature and risked going into stasis (which can be fatal) if she had carried on in that state.

It was awful, the poor rabbit was really unwell. She looked lethargic and had zero appetite. She ended up being hospitalised and eventually recovered but it was touch-and-go.

Please contact your vet again. If she goes a whole day without food and fluids, she will deteriorate.

There are more knowledgeable people on this forum (such as Jane) who will probably offer you specific advice, but my first thought would be to get Sooty to the vet.

Good luck

Last edited:
Milo and Tilly are having their VHD jab on Tuesday, and there have been a few threads about the reactions of the jab, I am really worried about them having it now.

Do you know which VHD vaccine she was given- Cylap or Lapinject.

I really think the vet needs to see her, a forum member very sadly lost their rabbit a couple of weeks ago after a similar reaction to the one you are describing.

I dont mean to scare you but perhaps if you mention this to your vets they will be more willing to accomodate you :?

ETA- You say behind her head is quite wet, is this near the location that the vaccine was administered? If so it sounds like she is also having a localised skin reaction.

I think from what you have said though that I would definitely take her to the vet to get checked out as mine was not shaking etc as you describe.

I hope she is OK.

Both of mine had it last year and were OK, however one of them this year had a slight reaction.

She had the injection at about 10am on the Saturday morning, came back home and was fine. At 9pm I went to put them to bed and she would not eat any pellets or veg, however she would eat hay.

After checking on here I saw that one or two others had similar reactions.

The following morning she was fine. I have now decided never to take them for vaccinations on a Saturday, probably of a Monday evening in future in case of any reactions.

Our two rabbits, Sooty and Truffle had their VHD vaccinations yesterday morning. They were both fine afterwards - eating their veggies last night and running round quite happily.

This morning Sooty is not eating her pellets or anything else. She is lying down and every so often her head shakes/trembles. Behind her head she is quite wet as though she has been over grooming herself. I have phoned the emergency vet and they have suggested we try and tempt her to eat but they are fully booked so can't see her today. They mentioned that she may have a temperature and we will just need to let it run its course.

We are so worried about her - she is normally the liveliest of the two - always first with her head in the food bowl!

Vicky

Hello :)

I would insist the Vet sees Sooty this morning. Try not to panic, she may just be feeling grotty as her immune system responds to the vaccine
Some meds to lower her temperature (if she has one) and to take away the generalised achiness she may have will really help. Once she 'feels' better she will start to eat again. Then her tum will keep functioning. But if she refuses food all day today her tum will slow right down and cause more problems.
Please let us know how Sooty gets on

Janex

I would get her to the vets aswell, better to be on the safe side. As Sooz said we lost Rory to a reaction to VHD a few weeks ago. It is very rare but it does happen and i think you should insist your vet sees Sooty.

Honey had the same thing with her VHD jab. I called the emergency vet and they advised to bring her in straight away. She had two jabs and was fine after that. Best to call the vet at least and see what they say.

we have just come back after taking Sooty to the emergency vet.

They checked her temperature which was normal but thought she had gas in her tummy. They have given her 2 injections - one was Metoclopramide and the other was a combination of antibiotic and steroid - Baytril and Dexadeson. They hope that will do the trick and get her eating again but we have to monitor her over the next few hours.

Fingers crossed that she starts eating

Vicky

Vicky

My Bella had a reaction to her VHD injection last year, she lost the fur on the back of her neck and it was all covered in blood. She kept licking it so it was obvious it was bugging her. We went to the vet the next day as we noticed it at night time the day before. They said its common to get a reaction like what Bella had. They were very nice and helped in every way. They gave me some cream I had to rub on the wound every day for the next week after that. Then she got all better.

I don't know what to suggest as Bella has never reacted like Sooty has now. All I can really say is that I hope she gets better soon!

Sooty has just eaten some hay and been outside to run around in her run.

She is now back inside tucking into her hay - yipeeee!!

Let's hope she is through the worst

Thanks for all the advice and vibes

Vicky

Update - Sooty has just finished off her spring greens - I'm so pleased - she is like a different rabbit from this morning!

phew!

Vicky :D:D

Update - Sooty has just finished off her spring greens - I'm so pleased - she is like a different rabbit from this morning!

phew!

Vicky :D:D

Thats great news :D My vet now gets Lapinject in for me as one of my buns had a bad reaction to Cylap - maybe you could try Lapinject next time. Just noticed you are in Sutton Coldfield :wave: Did you go to the emergency in Great Barr by Asda - they are FAB !

Back