• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit birth

tawny

New Kit
we recently found out our rabbit was pregnant. we put a box in her room which had a towel and some fur that she contributed. today she started to bleed a little, and after calling the vet they assured me this was normal as long as it wasn't excessive.

after coming home from a friends house early this morning we saw that there was something that looked like it would be afterbirth on the ground. i checked everywhere and didn't see any babies. on closer inspection, the object looked like a tube with a baby bunny head. it must be an underdeveloped baby.

should we expect more to come? could this be the afterbirth and she has cannibalized the preceding litter? or could it be possible that since she is a first time mother, a small breed mother and father, that this is the only kit and it was delivered prematurely?

has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

the mother is doing fine, but still no other babies. i think enough time has gone by that it's safe to say there won't be anymore.

i'm still very curious about what happened tho. if anyone knows or has any ideas pls reply to this thread.

i should also mention that the mother and father both are very spoiled. we let them have the entire spare room, where they have 2 seperate enclosed areas to retreat to, plenty of room to run and play, clean litter, and a very stress free environment. they both eat normally, timothy hay, alfalfa, rabbit pellets, and fresh grass, veggies and fruits on occasion.

i've read that the mother may cannibalize if she is stressed or has an unhealthy diet. both of which aren't true for this rabbit.

there was no trace of blood around her mouth, and just a little more than what she was releasing during the day when she was in labor. so i'm completely boggled.

A similar thing happened at my school once...a female "gave birth" some 2 weeks after mating (in other words: 2 weeks premature) to undeveloped kits.
I didn't get to see the babies myself, but the mother was bleeding afterwards.
I don't know what happened to her and the same rabbit had delivered several healthy litters before (ironically her daughter had her first litter about the same time, they were all healthy)

that happened to tinny she went full term and gave birth to 5 dead babies. alcie didnt bond with hers as they were found in 3 seperate areas of the hutch. moomin had 2 healthy ones and i found a deformed one 2 weeks later.

Crystle surprised me and her husbun with 3 babies on fri:shock::shock:. I had no idea she was expecting and her previous owners were no honest enough to tell me:evil:. One baby was dead at back of crate and 2 others were in a nest. Not sure what is happening at mo, don't know if she is feeding them properly and am to inexperienced with this sort of the thing to know what to do for best. Been trying to get lots of advice. Sorry, I cannot advise you, but I am sure someone else may be able to.

when i was reading up on baby bunnies, i read that they only eat once a day. 2x at most. and you probably wont see them eating.

the best way to tell if they are fed is to weigh them with a kitchen scale. we picked up a chefmate food scale at target for 6 dollars.

weigh them every few hours to check their weight gain. also i read that if their bellies are round and look like a frogs, they're full. if they're sunken in, they're not eating.

You can usally tell the Kitts are being fed by looking at thier tummys, they should be round,and full looking :D
its important that you dont fuss over the babies to much and check daily for any problems like not being fed,dead kitts (which need removed from the nest) etc

One of my rescue buns who came in gave birth the following day. We found two half baby bunnies and two whole ones scattered around the run. She never cared for the whole babies so she lost all four in the end. Some first time mums don't take care of their litter and some are brilliant mums.

Back