• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasha has a weeping eye

Mart

Mama Doe
We noticed last night - just before bed, that Pasha had a wet cheek on one side. His eye looked ok, and there was no sign of weeping specifically. As he often has accidents with his water bowl, we put it down to that.

This morning, there is definite weeping from his left eye, and the surround is slightly red. The discharge is mainly clear.

We have searched forums here - and there are obviously lots of possible underlying causes.

Our problem is that we are unlikely to be able to get an emergency appointment today - we live in a rural area, and past experience suggests that they are unlikely to be able to fit us in (it is the middle of the lambing season) - we will phone of course and try, but they will make an initial assessment and i suspect that they will say bring him in tomorrow morning - which isn't a problem in terms of getting there.

He is up to date on vaccinations (approx 3 months ago).

We are going to bath his cheek shortly, with a weak saline solution - and obviously keep a close eye on him.

He seems fine in all other respects, eating, running, binkying, sticking his nose and teeth where they shouldn't be etc.

We will phone shortly, and my question is probably - how far should we push getting an appointment today ?

The other aspect - is that they are likely to have mainly their non-bunny savvy staff on emergency duty at the moment - to cope with the farms over the weekend. Tomorrow, they will have their quota of nurses etc - and will probably make a better diagnosis.

Any suggestions ?

Martin

Also - can you use Optrex on bunnies ?

I'm assuming not at the moment, as this is the ingredient list:

Purified Water, Alcohol, Boric Acid, Glycerin, Witch Hazel, Sodium Borate, Benzalkonium Chloride.

the alcohol would worry me slightly - and i don't know what the chemicals are at all.

Think we will stick with a weak saline solution - how strong do you make it ?

Martin

We noticed last night - just before bed, that Pasha had a wet cheek on one side. His eye looked ok, and there was no sign of weeping specifically. As he often has accidents with his water bowl, we put it down to that.

This morning, there is definite weeping from his left eye, and the surround is slightly red. The discharge is mainly clear.

We have searched forums here - and there are obviously lots of possible underlying causes.

Our problem is that we are unlikely to be able to get an emergency appointment today - we live in a rural area, and past experience suggests that they are unlikely to be able to fit us in (it is the middle of the lambing season) - we will phone of course and try, but they will make an initial assessment and i suspect that they will say bring him in tomorrow morning - which isn't a problem in terms of getting there.

He is up to date on vaccinations (approx 3 months ago).

We are going to bath his cheek shortly, with a weak saline solution - and obviously keep a close eye on him.

He seems fine in all other respects, eating, running, binkying, sticking his nose and teeth where they shouldn't be etc.

We will phone shortly, and my question is probably - how far should we push getting an appointment today ?

The other aspect - is that they are likely to have mainly their non-bunny savvy staff on emergency duty at the moment - to cope with the farms over the weekend. Tomorrow, they will have their quota of nurses etc - and will probably make a better diagnosis.

Any suggestions ?

Martin

Morning Martin and Pam :wave:

It sounds like a bit of conjuntivitis to me. As the discharge is clear it does not sound too serious. The saline eye bathing is a good idea. Not sure if you have any pharmacies open near you today ? If so you can buy Optrex 'Infected Eyes' over the counter. It contains Chloramphenical, an antibiotic which can be used on Rabbits. That may tide you over til you can get Pasha to the Vets tomorrow.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003107.html

Obviously there are other causes of a weepy eye, blocked nasolacrimal duct from elongated tooth roots for example. But what you have descibes does sound like conjunctivitis. Still needs a Vet check, but tomorrow should be fine

Janex :)

Last edited:
Thanks Jane,

The Optrex you describe - seems to be more of a paste that it suggests you apply under the eyelid across the width of the eye - how on eart do you do that with a lively bun ?? :) - any tips ?

Martin

ok - i nead to read better.

it's available as either drops or ointment - guess drops are easier :)

Martin

Thanks Jane,

The Optrex you describe - seems to be more of a paste that it suggests you apply under the eyelid across the width of the eye - how on eart do you do that with a lively bun ?? :) - any tips ?

Martin

Get Pam to hold her whilst you apply it :)
You can just put a bit on the tip of your (pre-washed ;)) little finger. Apply it to the inner corner of Pasha's eye then gently massage it along.

Janex :)

It contains Chloramphenical, an antibiotic which can be used on Rabbits. That may tide you over til you can get Pasha to the Vets tomorrow.

Jane - just one thing,

if that contains anti-biotics (and for humans the recommendation is a 5 day course) - would there be a danger in applying an AB if the vet then gives a further dose of a different AB tomorrow ?

We're just going to see if we can get it from the nearest chemist.

We've just applied a saline solution around the eye - and cleaned up his fur. He was very good, and didn't fidget at all.

The eye does seem to be very runny - although it is still clear. We'll keep a close eye - and phone the vets just after 2pm (if they happen to have anyone in the surgery - it'll be around then anyway - else it goes onto their off-duty call-out person).

thanks

Martin

Hi,poor wee soul. Personally i would just keep bathing it with saline/salt water and leave it at that until you see the vet as the vet may put the rabbit on drops tomorrow that could interact with the optrex.All the best.

I would just clean the area with warm salt water and wait until you see your vet tomorrow. So long as you bun is eating, pooing and seems well in himself then I'd wait. Wilow has a perm weepy right eye which is due to teeth problems. I just keep it clean.

We took a rain check on the vet's this morning.

We washed Pasha's eye yesterday afternoon - which he seemed to like - and it seemed to help, the weeping carried on for a short while afterwards, then started to dry up - and the redness around his eye gradually started easing too.

This morning, his eye is completely back to normal, no redness, and no signs of any weeping at all overnight.

We'll keep an eye on him, see if it starts to re-occur, but it sounds as though it make just have been a foreign body or soemthing in there that we may have helped to loosen or remove.

Martin

Back