• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for my new rabbit.

Hi All,

I am getting a Netherland Dwarf Siamese Sable Dow called Tika-Rose from a Rescue. Tika is 14 weeks old and I have been looking at how to care for her. Some of the things I've listed are questionable like the treat section. I have guinea pigs and prefer to give them fruit as a treat. But listed it anyway to get some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Louise
xxx

Diet

A mixed diet of rabbit pellets 2oz per day (which brand is best and accessible in pet shops?), dandelions, good quality hay and veggies.

Veggies

Carrots
Kale
Cabbage
Spinach
Sprouts
Radish
Peas
Beans
Beetroot
Celery
Turnip
MintParsley
Sage
osemary
Thyme

No lettuce as it causes laudanum and can be fatal

Treats (one a week)

One weetobix
One digestive biscuit/richtea
One strawberry
1 piece of banana
1 piece of dry toat
few baked potato peel

Gnawing block

Vitamin D from sunlight (Any other source)

Bedding - Can buns sleep on Fleece? Toilet corner can you use megazorb, woodshavings? what is best?

Injections Myxomatosis and viral haemorrhagic disease injections from 12 week2 weeks apart yearly costing around £14.00 each

Spaying - to prevent cancer between 6 months and 2 years?

Diarrhoea/constipation - Raspberry or blackberry leaves. Can you give raspberry leave tablet instead?

Yoa have looked up on them then well done,you will learn that rabbits will eat n eat n eat and hay is the most inportant .

Hi, and welcome to the forum:D. I wouldn't bother with some parts of the treat list. There's no need to feed rabbits biscuits or bread of any kind..they don't look on treats in the same way as we do..food is food ...and there's no need to add refined foods to the diet, as a rabbits gut is not designed to cope "human" refined foodstuffs. Potatoes should never be fed as they are toxic to rabbits. Fruit can be looked on as a treat to be given in small amounts..and treat carrot as a "treat" as well as it's high in sugar content. If your bunny is fed a balanced diet which consists of at least 90% hay it won't need any vitamin supplements as a good pellet(aim for one at least 18% fibre if possible) will supply any lacking. I know that young rabbits can have more pellets than adults, but I'm not sure about what age the pellets should be kept to a minimum. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give more specific advice. Looking forward to some pictures!!:)

Thank you so much. Yes, that is how I look at treats for my guinea pigs. Will do the same for Tika!

There is every chance I may get her tomorrow (originally it was the 23rd) I have a Nero 4 and a Lavander Lodge 5x2 indoors that I can use. I want her as a house bunny and do plan on getting her a friend.

I did post her up yesterday in the Introduction section but here she is again

TikaCrop.jpg

tika-1.jpg

Such a small bun for a lavendar lodge - very lucky bunny! :D Seems to me she's in ideal hands as your obviously done your homework. Introduce the veggies slowly as it may upset her tum. Also don't feed her as much as your piggies - she doesn't need them for vitamin c like your piggies do. Hay is really really important. As per the hayexperts website, hay is the main course everything else is just dressing on the side.

Aww she's beautiful:D :D :D :D

I'm getting 2 buns when my hutch arrives and I've had a home check (fingers crossed!!)

great thanks for the info. Hay is unlimited here with having the 9 pigs. :) I did read buns where easier to feed than pigs when it came to veggies.

I did have my 4 Sows in a Lavander Lodge indoors but they now live in my shed in a C&C Cage.

Good luck Cazza! Hope the home check goes well. :)

Hi :wave: and welcome,

She's is a very pretty bunny:D you must be so excited. She's very lucky to have someone to take care of her who has done so much research in rabbit care, well done :)

Aww Tinkerbell is lovely, does her coat change colour?

Bunniemum thanks, I feel a bit more reassured now that I'm doing ok! :D I havent' had a bun for many years it's going to be fun! :)

Yes her coat DOES change colour!

In the winter she goes quite dark, nearly black in parts. Now, with summer coming, she is moulting and is going more grey, in fact very light grey in places!

Have fun with her, I love Nethies!

Bless her. I've just been talking to my friend and her little Nethie Rupert changes from grey/blue to cream! Amazing! I do like the Angora's but think Netherland's are my best option for a first bun.

Just making notes on their care and what to look out for when ill, like pigs they hide their illnesses. Got to go to the Pet shop and get some pellets for her.

Oh I meant to ask is it ok to use woodshavings in the litter tray? I do have some Megazorb knocking about so could use that (I'm allergic to woodshavings but would use it if I had to.)

Also looked at the injections for Myxo and VHD doing that is not a problem. Will be getting Tika Spayed I've read 6 months is the norm but some vets do it at 4 months.

So much info! I'm having just too much fun! :D

I had a nethie and I would say (once she's adult) only half the pellets you are intending giving and NONE of the treats - Nethies have a stocky body shape and the treats and amount of pellets you have listed are not only bad for their digestion, but would make even a giant rabbit fat after a few months - and once a rabbit is fat you have problems as they can't eat their caecal poops, get dirty, flies get them etc.

what I would do is give half the pellets, feed fresh hay twice daily, and save the extra pellets to give as treats occasionally - my bunnies will jump through hoops for a pellet, or a slice of carrot, or a dandelion leaf, so that's all the treats they get :)

Also be aware that unless the rescue fed her veg, she mustn't have any veg for a few weeks till she's settled in, and then just give her a mouthful of one type of veg - you can increase the amount over 2 weeks and then try another type. Rabbits don't need anywhere near as much veg as piggies though - it gives them sticky poops if they have too much :)

Last edited:
Thanks Elve! Tika is here now and is adorable. She is very affectionate and not at all scared! She is in a cage until I clean the Lavander Lodge out which is indoors!

I need to speak to the rescue about her veg intake but I have her on Excel for Dwarf Rabbits at the moment, she has herbage and a very large water bottle. I would imagine she has had veg, but will speak to them to clarify.

I do the same with the treats for my pigs, some fruit or a carrot they go mental for it! :D

Will post pics later!

Louise
xxx

Back