• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Rabbits Taken from Mum at 4-5wks

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All
Just wanted some advice. I have, through my local Freecycle group, given away an indoor rabbit cage. The person had posted to say that they had rescued 2 baby rabbits who were approx 4-5wks old. I replied to them to ask where they had rescued them from and was told it was through a friend of a friend who knew someone who had become very ill and could not care for the mother and two babies that they had.

Apparently the mother was very weak and so were the babies so they have taken the babies away to let the mother get better and try to save the babies. This family have an outdoor hutch and run but did not want to put the babies outside.

I have given them the indoor cage, so that they can keep them indoors but am concerned about how young they are. I told the guy that they were far too young to be away from their mother. Not sure why they didn't take all three.

He said that they were giving them kitten milk. Is this a good or a bad thing? I have no experience with baby rabbits.

I just thought that if I get some info on this then I can email him with the details. Will also be asking about the mother rabbit. If needs be I will have her and rehome her.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards, Ange

People have had success using KMR, Cimicat or Goats milk....I believe goats milk is preferable because it has a higher nutritional value.

Some websites suggest adding a spoonful of cream to the milk to enrichen it.

I would also advocate adding probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Vetark Pro-Plus to the feeds to help with their gut flora.

As they reach weaning age I have heard good reports of using either Zantac or Tagamet as a PH balancer to help the kits as their tummies make the transition from being alkali to acidic.....this is the period when most handreared youngsters are lost as they develop complications in the gut such as Mucoid Enteritis, Enterotoxemia or even Coccidiosis.

Thanks Sooz, just worried about them and the mother rabbit.

I gave away my only indoor cage, even tho Im looking at fostering in the future, just because I wanted to know these two babies were in adequate short term housing.

Will forward the details on to the person and hopefully they wont mind getting the info. Im sure he will be okay about it as he did ask me a few questions whilst here.

Regards, Ange

Back