• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anti house rabbit vet

Rachelk

Warren Scout
Just took our two in for a check up, post the snotty noses and anti biotics etc. Got the all clear on lungs etc. But the vet stated she is against house rabbits and that any sneezes were probably caused by that or an allergy. Said get them outside straight away.

Our two do get to go in garden in a run.

Also suggested that I stop using the Aubiose in the litter trays. I used this as the rescue used it. Said should not use any horse products at all.

Any one else had similar things?

OH got quite upset

I have heard similar from certain Vets.
I do agree that there are some issues around having Buns indoors, but these are nor insurmountable. For example Central Heating can play havoc with a Rabbits respiratory tract as the heating creates a too warm/dry atmosphere.
Solution- turn the heating down and use humidifiers. I avoid using any air-fresheners/polishes etc and I have no carpets (which can increase dust )
I also always have the windows open ALL YEAR!!

To be honest I do, in a way, agree with some of the arguments against House Rabbits. But things can be done to minimise the problems that might be encountered. Given my time over again I would have created a more 'natural' environment for my Rabbits, outdoors but totally secure.

As it is I have made my house rather like an outdoor Rabbitry with a lid on..............:?
I am sure not many people would want to live like me though !!

Janex

Well on the house rabbit front I think she's talking out of her :censored:. What a silly woman! There's no evidence to suggest that the snuffliness is caused by allergies, and even if they are, how can she know for certain that it's an allergy caused by something inside your house! Granted, central heating can cause problems, but that's not an "allergy". I don't think she knows what she's talking about. I suggest you find another vet, pronto, and write your concerns to the one you've just seen.

AMETHYST

For example Central Heating can play havoc with a Rabbits respiratory tract as the heating creates a too warm/dry atmosphere.
Solution- turn the heating down and use humidifiers. I avoid using any air-fresheners/polishes etc and I have no carpets (which can increase dust )
I also always have the windows open ALL YEAR!!

We do not use any polishes etc. They are mainly on tiles and wooden floors with mats for their comfort that they can clean easily.

HAve the windows open. Clean and sweep etc every day. I would always want them to get chance to play outside.

I was more concerned that she was so anti anything that may have first been meant for horses (Megazorb?) and also that if they did not get fresh grass every day they would be ill. We do grow grass in trays for when they are in.

These two are house buns mainly for mr long haired Scruffy.

:censored: i hate vets like that...the one at the practice i no longer attend with my buns..(wonder why!) went even further and suggested rabbits shouldnt be kept as house buns at all...they should live utside 24/7 and to be honest they shouldnt be kept as pets at all..theyre too fragile and always ill..out in the wild hey get sick they die always another to take its place!:shock::evil: btw this is the vet when i ahd my very first house bun said shed have to have a GA and have her ring removed with a hacksaw as this was thegenral procedue for removing rings:shock: mm a few weekslater a nurse thee cut it off with a special pair of scissors..no GA and cost me a fiver!!

oh and i know what you mean.he said nothing was ok for buns to live on except grass no shelters etc not natural:shock:

i agree jane there can be many probs but then again there are may plusses...where acces to a garden 24/7 isnt availabe or theres not a agrden.with the right setting a bunny can live a healthy happy life. Otherwise thered be a lot less buns rehomed as many folks now take on housebuns.
I have insect screening on my windows before il open them..theres fans and bottles of frozen water to cool them in the sumer...warm beds ( heating only when its freezing) and seeing as theyre on the floor it doesnt affect em much...i now have non slip lino in my lounge and my lounge is a giant rabbit cage/playground...i love my buns and dont mind having to live that..well i do but my buns come first......theres carpet on the stairs and landing and in my room everywhere else they can get to is lino....or tiles.......the sare room has scraps of carpet but theure not allowed in there cos of the mould(housing association again!)

i mean think how many years back it was the practice to make cats live utside and if they came in they had to go out at night...no vaccinations no spaying etc and dont worry about cat food cats always catch their own food:evil:

that was when the late 50s to ealry eighties!!

now look at what they can have as alife....now the rabbits can be the same as guiena pigs arent house pets neither are hamsters or mice or even dogs..but we live with them side by side and pamper them!

cats need to climb,perch,jump,run, which my two do i asure you but no access outside tilli finish cat proofing the garden....the buns will have access once the grass has been cut and dried out! its like a bog still!

the cat proffing will be helpful to them to theyd go nuts if "their cats" disappeared without them:shock::lol:

see another vet..if need be at a different practice...i had to..and i have a great bunvet..im lucky..but all my past buns saw idiot vets too with the odd exception!

I wouldn't really be able to keep bunnies if they couldn't be inside. I have a very small garden but it is used by my dogs so the grass isn't clean for rabbits and I fear that pets kept outside would be prey to vandals due to the position of my hose/garden adjacent to 2 roads.

I kept rabbits outside in the past when I lived at home with my parents and I tried to do my best for them but I don't doubt for one second that my rabbit now has a happier more enriched life for being indoors and a real part of the family. It shows in every aspect of his demeanor, health and temperement.

I don't have carpet in my house and the windows are open often, the heating is only on for 2 hours a day even in Winter (we're stingy lol) and the house never gets a dry atmosphere due to the fact we have a large aquarium in the main room.

Last edited:
i have a carpeted house and my buns havent got snuffles or what ever it is...we have fans for summer time as i cant open windows incase the chippies are loose and we forget plus im totally para about flystrike... if my vet suddenly said no house buns id erm change vets :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well I'd love to have my rabbits in the house. I know I'd sleep a lot more easily knowing they were safe indoors, rather then outside (even though they are locked up).

Is it worth trying different litter though? It probably isin't the aubiose but at least it would rule that out. It may also be worth asking for a second opinion either within the practice or at another.

I'm glad my buns are inside because Tilly nose is so much better in here! I have central heating on in the house but there is no radiator in the living room where the buns spend most of the time - just a gas fire we never use so it stays quite cool in there, plus the living room is north facing and doesn't get hot in the daytime

I'd rather keep my buns inside where I can keep an eye on them, especially when the cats around here treat the neighbourhood as a giant litter tray.

Just out of curiosity has anyone done or know of any type of research into whether indoor buns have more health issues than outdoor buns?

If indoor bunnies have more health issues than outdoor rabbits I personally suspect its because the owners are more likely to realise they are ill.

The general consensus is that a house rabbit lives longer too.

:wave: have to say what aload of buuny poo about what vet says bunnys indoors. my vets are always encouraging that if they are ill to be indoors except i cant fit all 28 in at once!!!! espeically if they have snuffles or feeling run down. the ones that are indoors are noticed more as they are with you more. :roll:

I can see both sides I think. I would imagine an outdoors environment is more natural and preferable for a healthy bunny. I brought mine indoors because they were ill.

My vet thinks it's great that Dusty is indoors, as I can pick up on even the slightest changes (behaviour etc).

Well, weve had indoor rabbits for years and theyve been fine..our house is clean and tidy and normal looking too! Our eldest passed away earlier this year age 11...do NOT understand a vet saying outright "get her outside"...SOME rabbits are more suited to the outdoors but for others the indoor life is just perfect and in no way unhealthy:? Dont get it. I wouldnt go back to that vet personally

If indoor bunnies have more health issues than outdoor rabbits I personally suspect its because the owners are more likely to realise they are ill.

Precisely, well said. One of our buns has had to go outside for a while and for us personally its just no match for our outdoor buns, its really difficult to give her as much time, space, attention and care, we cant wait to bring her in again.

The only other reason i can think for indoor rabbits getting ill because of their environment is carelessness...using really strong air fresheners everywhere or bleach unguarded or not bunny proofing etc...which obviously we dont do:?

Eve just had a couple of sneezes, no snot, good breathing last week and it was check up time. Vet said both bunnies were in good health but that the sneeze may be an allergy. That was when she asked if they were indoor buns.

We will keep letting them out in the run in the day anyway, when we are here. I think she is getting lots of Scruf's anora fluff her nose anyway as he is moulting massively!

I have 4 inside (and have had others in the past) and 7 outside (and ditto) and to be frank I thing the indoor ones who have a much more cossetted life have better health - as if they have any problems they are warm and dry and cosy -already - and do not have to be upset by being moved indoors as the others are if they are ill.

My advice would be - get a new vet! If you are anywhere at the north end of Essex and could get conveniently to Cambridge I can give you the address of an EXCELLENT vet.

I prefer having my lot inside, it means you cam pick up on any slight changes quicker than you might do if they were outside & they seem happier inside too :) Where abouts are you in Essex hun? Someone might be able to recommend a good vet xx

Back