• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mother and daughter?

kimd6200

Banned
hi just a general enquiry.would a mother and daughter live together happily if not neutered?just wondering with them being the same sex and related or wouldnt it work that way?would they end up fighting once baby is adult?x

I'm no expert on this, but when I got Martha she was with her daughter Willow but unfortunately Willow tended to bite Martha. They could sit together happily but it hadn't worked out with them living together. Both were spayed too.

i think it depends on the rabbit really, but if you plan to breed from them then they cant stay together but you probably know that already :)

no not for breeding just theres one baby that always snuggles up to mum more n thinkin of keeping it to keep the bond they seem to have.will be neutered eventually.

so does that mean your going to give up breeding then kim
:)

i was thinking some bunnys do get along but i would double check first it is a baby girl and not a boy kim,...you have had a few problems with rabbits in the past and while im sure that you are looking after them now you dont need the hassel of any probs again. get them vaccs to think a spey is most logical here some females will live together happily unspeyed others will fight mayb best not to wait and see eh? get mum neutered then no more litters and no more probs :)

I had to rescue lionheads come in that were mother and daughter, who got on great, but I had them neutered as soon as baby was old enough as I wanted them doing at the same time. Even if they get on it is still better to get them neutered:D

At the end of the day regardless of whether they get along un-neutered......they still run the risk of uterine cancer and an early death.

yes giving up.the baby is 100% girl and im almost there with money to get both neutered and vacs.well mum is but baby isnt old enough yet.is it 6wks they can be vacs?if i had them both done at same time how long would i have wait until came bond them?how old can babies be neutered?x

Myxi at 6 weeks but I dont think you can VHD until 10 weeks.

Some vets will spey as soon as a doe reaches 1kg, other will wait until 6 months old.

I waited until baby was 5mths old and then had both done at the same time, They were kept together even after the op, the only time they were sepeated was as they were coming round from the GA but were put straight back in together as soon as both were awake.
You will have to post pics, is it the French lops? (I love them)

thanks for the replies.yea its the french lops.ill get baby vacs next week then n wait until shes ready be neutered.feel realy nervious cuz first time ever had bunnies neutered etc.want do things right now.if they go straight back together will they pull each others stitches?arh baby doesnt seem big enough for injection.:oops:ive so got to suss out photobucket.:oops:xmaybe this year ill be able too.x

Well mine didn't they were just as snuggly together as they were before they had their op

I have a mum and two daughters. They lived fine together until the girls got to around 6 months when the humping started. After their neuter they all settled back down again together although they one of them has been taken out of the trio since due to aggression between the sisters.

Back