• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wasps!!!!

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
Following on from a thread the other day, I opened up the roof of the hutch last night to find two huge wasps sheltering under the overhang :shock:

they were pretty dopey so had probably just come out of hibernation, but the inclement weather must have driven them to find shelter. I don't know whether they were queens, but I wasn't going to risk a wasp nest any where near the buns. (we had a wasps nest in the garden as a child and you couldn't get within 10ft with out being stung by the guards - my mum still has a scar :shock:)

anyway, just thought it might be wise to check around your hutches and sheds incase you get any nasty sutrprises :D

eeeep :shock: yes I've found big bluebottles sheltering in my hutch overhang too :? And another trick bluebottles have (for anyone with indoor bunnies) is they hitch a ride on the door to your house - they sit on it till it opens, and you just let them in - they are not stupid flies :? I've even seen bluebottles search methodically all around a window for a way into the house in the evening, which takes brains surely? :shock:

Year ago I stupidly left a sweet tasting rabbit treat in the hutch in the summer....It was there all morning and when I went to let the poor bunny out I kid you not there were about 40-50 wasps inside the hutch all piled on top of each other and my poor bunny was trapped inside. I couldn't reach in because there were so many of them, so had to open the hutch doors and she had to jump over them and was stung a few times.....

It was awful. Luckily she was ok but it is not a sight I would like to see again.

My lionhead was sitting in the garden yesterday and a big bumble bee (I like bees) was verrrrry interested in him. He didn't look very amused though and was getting quite impatient about the fact it was buzzing around him. He looked like he was going to go for it but it took the wise decision and flew away....:shock:

eeep :shock: someone on here's bunny died of a wasp sting last summer :( there may be a nest nearby in a hole in the wall - that's how they all got into my girl's shed last year - they were in the cavity where some mortar had fallen out :?

I keep finding them buzzing in the windows inside the house:roll:
They seem to be HUGE.
I think last years that might have died off in the winter, have survived the mild winter to grow into secret superwasps....
Can't wait til the summer picnics..:roll:

Back